Thread: Adalan Eu

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Default Adalan Eu

This map was done as a request for one of our new forum members as a novel writing aid

I had a lot of fun working on this one, it gave me the opportunity to test a few ideas I had for mountain placement.

Thanks for Ramah and Fluesopp as always, that forest generator is the coolest thing I've used since I got started with photoshop

I also borrowed a tiling pattern from Tom Cardin. The border and funky art are courtesy of of royalty free vector art collection, and the fonts are Tiranti Solid (for the terrain and water features) and Cataneo for everything else.

And as an added bonus, I also made a black and white version in case it needs to be printed out for scratch notes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapbase01..jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	23363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapbase02_bw copy&#4.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	23364  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 03-31-2010 at 03:03 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Nice! I totally dig the coastal cliffs, even if they are a bit Escher-esque.

Great stuff.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

O_O I didn't know you did a black and white!! Thanks so much! That will be such a big help! And I agree, Daelin, I love the cliffs too. ^_^
    "I cannot offer you a satisfying beginning, for I do not know the true beginning myself. But if there is any beginning, it is with the Wakening, and the coming of the first Captains of the Elaseim." ~Rana, bard and Last of the Elaseim

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Well, I know the cliffs are a bit odd, but I couldn't think of any other way to do them so you could see them from all angles I ended up with falling back on it being simply a stylistic representation, not a true isometric thingy

Oh, and for the B+W I can email you a version without the background parchment (and greyscale it, this one still has the sepia tone), I couldn't help myself

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Again, love your border on this map, Coyote. Maybe it's not something you want to hear (considering it is the map that is supposed to be the star) but I think you excel above all other things at borders and general presentation of your maps.
    As with the other campaign map you posted, I think this could benefit from a slight blur on your tree layer. But maybe that is just me.
    Anyhoos, great stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

No, feedback is good (and good to see you back here posting)
    I like doing the borders, the maps may be the primary focus but the artistic elements (in my opinion) are what take it from "ooh" to "aah" if you know what I mean.. and I can't help it, the artist in me is continually fighting with the cartographer in me

*notes for future reference*

My finished maps