Thread: Here goes finally !

Guild Novice

Map Here goes finally !

Im not a pro but i think i made it kinda right ;0) comment anyone ? ;0) and i need to know maybe some effect use for mountain , i think mine is kinda low quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kadaria1Working..jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	23376  

Good start. However, there are several different styles used and it could benefit from more playing to get some consistency of style. For example, the mountains (overhead, high altitude) don't match the forest texture( some angle, not quite ISO, but not overhead either), does not match the buildings(kind of nice part drawn, part generated effect), does not match the symbolic fields. Don't get me wrong, you have some nice elements in there, but they don't really blend together well.

Assuming the "mountain" is a single mountain in the background, or a large hill, perhaps a good use of shading can help. See Pyrandon' city tutorial for a create example. For the fields, I would probably use something like the texture from Genetica Viewer(agrarian fields or something like that.) or do your own hand drawn. And for forests... well, not quite sure... Anyway, just some suggestions in case you wish to play with this more. If you do want to play with this some more and get other inputs and plan to make changes, let me know and I will move the post to one of the WIP forums (probably city/town building forum)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Gr8 ! thx a lot for the info , gonna play with it a little more wen i finished this week comic ;P Again thx for those Gr8 comment and info to get my skill better ! ;0)

I like it.

Did you create the forest or is that taken from an aerial photograph? It kind of looks like an actual photo which is pretty cool. The only thing about the forest that I'm not sure about is the way it fuzzy fades around the edges. Like jf said, with the other styles where everything has a solid edge you may want to try trimming down the blur around the forests just a bit.

That is an incredible wall the way it's perfectly straight going over the mountains and all. It seems like it should change in the up and down terrain, maybe some kind of shadows and highlights?

You may also want to try getting the brick like texture on your buildings to go in the direction of each building. What you have works but all the brickwork runs east west regardless of the direction of the building. It may just be a matter of selecting the building outlines on the right layer and using the rotate feature, building by building. It doesn't look bad the way it is but you might like the way it looks if you can do this.

I really like your coloring - It's rather Autumn-ish and warm. Keep up the good work, if you are like the rest of us you learn so much each time it's totally worth it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

wow ! i was gone for a freaking year ! sorry i dint come back to tell you all about it ,but anyways , my webcomic is going up pretty fast and i was working to get it right before anyting! so NOW ! i got time to put on maps ! i still need to work everyday for my webcomic to get better and better but i can spare some hard earn free time here with ya hehe. As of now im back in business !

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A good start you got there - I agree with the above sentiments and also want to ask about the river - normally water comes down from the mountains and flow to the ocean or a lake - but your river looks like it has a lake in both ends, I'd change that.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise