Thread: Elderbree (TM) rigional map.... WiP (learning)

Default Elderbree (TM) rigional map.... WiP (learning)

Well here is a sketch of the first map I'm going to try to make with GIMP and InkScape (do I even need InkScape?!?!?)

I scanned it and on my screen it looks pale and lack colors some what [as if it stood in the sun too long] so I played around with the colors in GIMP as well as made a picture of it with my cam, but I was told by a friend that the original [Image 1] looks OK on his screen and the modified ones [Image 2 & 3] look bad, so I just going to post all of the versions here and have you tell me which ones to remove , to me Image 4 looks closest to my color pencil sketch)

Image 1 (The original scan)
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/as...7&d=1270225826

Image 2 (Some Twining with colors)
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/as...7&d=1270225849

Image 3 (more twining with colors)
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/as...7&d=1270225833

Image 4 (A photo with my cam)
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/as...7&d=1270225841

Any way, the sketch is made with colored pencils on regular paper and it is what I want to reproduce using GIMP.. and advice or/and links to guides that will help me achieve that will be appreciated (and regardless I'm probably going to post it in the map request section of the forum so I can commission someone else to make it for me as well.... what would be a fair price to pay for a map like this???)

(Descriptions and explanations of the features in the map will come tomorrow)
    well shoot away...

~E(TM)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmp..jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	23431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmp3..jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	23432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elderbree..jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	23433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmp2..jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	23434  
    Last edited by Elderbree TM; 04-02-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fixed Image upload
    "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java that the thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Uh, I can't see the images ;_;
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Uh, I can't see the images ;_;
    Right. I don't think that any images are there. Posting error, probably.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

hmmm... weird I can see theme fine... but when I use a different computer without signing in I can't... so I'll try riposting theme again later

Use the "paperclip" at the top of the Reply Menu (manage attachments) which allow you to either load images from your PC directly to your post, or from a URL where the maps currently exist - that's the best way to post maps here at the guild. That way a thumbnail shows up, if you click it it opens to a larger view, click again, then a full page view of the map is shown.

Regarding your mentions of "why do I need Inkscape" - answer try to label a map with text on a curve using GIMP (you will pull all your hair out.) Some things like creating rivers, borders, roads, grid lines, graticles and labels you're far better off using a vector application, like Inkscape, rather than an image editor like GIMP.

Consider that I use Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 for all my maps, and that is a vector application. Most vector apps can do many things with raster images, for example in Xara I've got light duty image editing tools, I can a slice a photo any way I want, apply feathering, transparency, beveling and many other effects quick and easy, much easier than doing that in GIMP or Photoshop. I heavily rely on vector apps, and almost never use a raster app, like GIMP except to tweak the colors and what not in a photo image. YMMV - use the app that works best for you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the pictures are placed on google mail adress - so you will have access to them when you are on your own computer and logged in - but not anywhere else - or any other users, so follow Gamerprinters advice on posting pictures above
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah, that probably explains why you can see the images, but we can't... they are linked to your Gmail box
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

OK fixed, and thanks for the InkScap explanation and attachment tips
    As you can see I'm new to this digital pictures and map making, though I used to have CC3 (and friends) but I never had the time to sit down and learn it and then I switched to a Linux machine (Fedora 11 at the moment), and couldn't use it so I just gave it away to a friend. But now I have time and I'm starting to mess around with stuff

BTW, is there any other program that might be of help for me that I can use on Linux (Fedora)? or any add-ons/plug-ins for GIMP/InkScape you recommend?
    Last edited by Elderbree TM; 04-02-2010 at 01:39 PM.

I know nothing about Linux, beyond what it is. Regarding GIMP, this app allows for custom scripts to do special functions. Our vice admin, RobA has made many custom scripts for all kinds of specialty mapping needs. Find one of his posts and look at his Sig, many of his custom scripts are linked there. There's an automatic forester, a city building random placer, a random dungeon tile creator, and many others. I dabble with GIMP, but as mentioned in my previous post, I primarily use Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 which is vector app, like Inkscape (though not free) so I can't help you as much regarding these specific apps - still there are many in the community who can. Just look around.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations