Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praathamika WIP

Guild Member

Wip Another iteration

I had all the text written and lost it because I forgot to hit the "Go advanced" button first. Bummer.

Anyway: hi there! :-)

This is my second "iteration" in Praathamika WIP. Like before, three images: big, east and west. About 1.5MB in total.

I had a few problems with this, and I'd like a little input. In particular, there are two that bother me the most:

- How do you make the text (of territories, rivers, landmarks, whatever) stand out without making a mess? I've tried to put a sort of white shadow around them, but the result is not very convincing. I feel that the answer is just "less is better", and that I should use smaller texts altogether, but maybe you have another opinion.
    - I use Gimp, and adjusting a text along a path is a real PITA. Or maybe it's just me. What I do now is the following sequence: draw a path, write a text, make text follow a path, turn path into selection, paint the selection black, remove path and text. Quite convoluted. Am I doing it wrong?

As usual, criticisms and suggestions very welcome. Thanks in advance :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-mids&#105.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	23696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-mids&#105.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	428.6 KB 
ID:	23697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-big-2&#.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	792.0 KB 
ID:	23698  

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    - I use Gimp, and adjusting a text along a path is a real PITA. Or maybe it's just me. What I do now is the following sequence: draw a path, write a text, make text follow a path, turn path into selection, paint the selection black, remove path and text. Quite convoluted. Am I doing it wrong?
    That is the crappy process. Sorry Most of the Gimp users here have added Inkscape to their toolset for adding text... Much better.

-Rob A>

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    That is the crappy process. Sorry Most of the Gimp users here have added Inkscape to their toolset for adding text... Much better.
    And what would be the process? Import the resulting texts as a PNG into a layer in Gimp? IIRC, Gimp can read SVG too, but I've not tested it and I don't know if it'd work.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    And what would be the process? Import the resulting texts as a PNG into a layer in Gimp? IIRC, Gimp can read SVG too, but I've not tested it and I don't know if it'd work.
    I usually bring an unlabeled map into Inkscape as a png file. I then create a new layer in Inkscape for each tipe of labelling (area, city, river, etc) as well as roads and icons, comass rose, etc. I then export out each layer (with the others turned off) as transparent png's and import them into gimp as layers, then add effects. Optionally effects (drop shadow/glows, etc.) could be done in inkscape but I find the filter support still not quite there.

While I have not made a map in a style similar to yours, It should work fine.
    -Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12