Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praathamika WIP

Guild Member

Wip Praathamika WIP

Hi there!

This is what's been eating up my time in the last couple months. It's still far from complete, but good enough to be shown. I'm actually quite proud of how it turned up, mostly because I was about to wipe it from my hard drive a couple times out of frustration. That's your fault, you all, making awesome maps and humiliating wannabe artists ;-)

I'm posting three images: a big (3000x3000) one, and two (west and east) smaller ones. The map is not complete, and texts are in spanish, but you're pros and I'm sure you'll manage. The big white box with the name of the map and author info is just a hack: it occupies the space of a yet unfinished island :-)

I hope to work a bit more on it, but I wanted to show it so I can get some feedback. Please, be gentle, but do critique at will. It will hurt at first, but it'll be good in the long run.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-big..jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	23441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-mids&#105.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	23442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	praathamika-mids&#105.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	23443  

It's a nice map. Personally, I find the paper grain to be too prominent. It feels like hillshading, but without any relation to shorelines and such.

I accept no blame for humiliating anyone except myself. I do that quite well...

Have to agree with su_liam on the paper grain, but other than that, looks like you are off to a good start. It's nice to see maps that are straight forward like this, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I love the overall design and flow of the map. The style of showing it (the angle etc) is also something I have not seen before... It's nice.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I can say is maybe lighten up on the forest color, kind of dark. Otherwise, it looks like a fun thing so nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like it, apart from the forests and sea being a bit dark for my tastes. I really like the representations for all those cliffs/canyons/plateaus in the north - that looks cool. What do those squiggly black lines indicate? I don't think they're rivers since I see some of those in blue. Are they gorges or something?

Guild Member

Two interesting things you said:

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    It's a nice map. Personally, I find the paper grain to be too prominent. It feels like hillshading, but without any relation to shorelines and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Have to agree with su_liam on the paper grain
    I have to think about this. It seems I tend to always overdo the textures, because the same comments were made about the last map I posted here. And ... I like that "bumpy" look! So while I agree that it might be too prominent, I'm a bit divided on the issue.

Anyway, thanks a lot. That's the kind of criticism I was looking for :-)

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    What do those squiggly black lines indicate? I don't think they're rivers since I see some of those in blue. Are they gorges or something?
    They should be small cliffs, or just highlands. But seeing that it's not obvious, it seems that I have to do them better :-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    I have to think about this. It seems I tend to always overdo the textures, because the same comments were made about the last map I posted here. And ... I like that "bumpy" look! So while I agree that it might be too prominent, I'm a bit divided on the issue.
    I feel the same thing, the bulges in the paper distracts from the beautiful map - really good work. But in the end, its your map and your should do as you find best .... have a bit of rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I think the 'too much textures' effect is because the rest of the map is so vibrant... You have really bright, 'cartoony' colors, which look awesome in a clean-cut map that doesn't pretend to be drawn on paper. The paper texture just looks a bit alien under colors like that.

The map itself looks very interesting and well thought-out and the combination of symbols&font look great together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast