Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining again for the first time...

Professional Artist Christopher West's Avatar

Default Joining again for the first time...

Hi folks,

I started an account here several years back, but I'm embarrassed to say that it lapsed due to inactivity. I seem to recall having trouble logging in, but I had no such trouble this time. Anyway, Jonathan Roberts invited me to return, and I'm hoping to be a more regular visitor this time. Thanks, Jonathan!

I've been doing professional cartography work in the gaming industry for about 10 years now, working for Wizards of the Coast, Paizo, Green Ronin, The Game Mechanics, AEG (once), and more recently for Privateer Press and Avalanche Press. Over the last year, I've started selling poster maps and terrain cards directly to customers through my website, and my independently-published products will soon be available in game stores through Alliance distribution. I'm very excited and hopeful about this!

I've got a little cartography forum set up on my own site, www.mapsofmastery.com, but nothing on the scale of the Cartographers' Guild! I plan to be a fairly regular visitor here from now on, but I welcome questions and comments at either site.

I went to college at Edinboro University of PA for Graphic Design, and learned to look for something constructive in any sort of criticism, so don't be shy about telling me what you like or don't like about my work.

Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was wondering where you went because I have always enjoyed your style. Welcome back and glad to have ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Christopher, welcome - looking forward to seing your maps - did have a sneak view on your homepage though - looking good
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Hi again. I remember your name from last time too. Stick around, your maps were pretty awesome if I remember right.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I have always loved Chris's maps and have been a fan since his regular appearance with the Maps if Mystery in the back of Dungeon Magazine for many years. Great to have you back over here!

Welcome back! I took a look at your work and I recognized several cities I have been admiring. Never knew it was you, glad that's remedied
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

i was just looking thru my old copy of "the shackled city" the other day, and was wondering what you might be working on today.... it is fantastic to see you are back here!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! Much appreciated!

Wow. Welcome again. I've loved your stuff for a long time...and look forward to seeing what you're doing these days.

Do you go back as far as Alternity? I've been remaking a couple of maps from Tangents to use in a game I'm running soon and thought they look like your style but they aren't signed and haven't been able to locate my book lately to check it out.
    M

I did a couple of tactical diagrams that appeared in the Warships PDF by Rich Baker, but that was the extent of my involvement with Alternity. However, Alternity was a huge influence on me and started me on the path to becoming a professional cartographer; the starship map in the Alternity Player's Handbook inspired me to try my hand at that sort of mapmaking, and Rob Lazzaretti's enthusiasm for my work encouraged me to continue. My earliest starship maps are very clearly influenced by that Alternity deck plan style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast