Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Temple Complex

very nice ineeed!!!!!
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon.chique View Post
    Would you care to share how you laid everything out? That's an area I'm still wrestling with.
    I've given this a lot of thought and have been trying to find a way to describe my methods without writing a book: The short, unhelpful answer would be "experience"; I've been a draftsman since the mid-80's and have picked up a lot of techniques that help dictate room layout. It's mostly ingrained habit and I often do it without conciously going through a list of steps. Here are the most obvious that come to mind:

- SEEK EXAMPLES: I always try to look up examples of structures that are related or relevant to the design I'm considering.
    - CULTURE: If the design is going to be for another culture or for another era of history (or fictional equivilent) I research the nuances of everyday life of the culture that most fits the purpose of the design.
    - PUBLIC VS PRIVATE: Identify public and private spaces and locate them accordingly. Be aware that these ideals change through location and history, which is why I research culture.
    - TRAFFIC: Identify how the people get from one place to another within the design. Make sure the traffic pattern makes sense.
    - INHABITANTS: Who lives and works there? I didn't just think of the monks and clerics at the temple, I also considered all of the beggars, pilgrims, servants, security, merchants, etc that would be there as well.
    - NECESSITIES: Make sure to keep in mind the basic requirements for life: Food, water, shelter, safety and sanitation. That's not to say that they need to all be included, just make sure you're aware of them.

Well, that's the down-and-dirty basics that I use. A bit general I know, but I hope it helps.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

That actually does help. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12