Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2010 Challenge Entry - Boran's Big Travel Map

Just wanted to say I agree with Daelin. It looks beautiful, but it's hard for me to make any sense of the terrain. You are definitely onto something though.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

wow.... your tinkering is paying off big time again. In awe as you -yet again- develop a new gorgeous style. Nice work so far! cheers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not much of an update, been looking at buying a new house so time has been scarce. I'm in the process of coloring in my lil symbols right now and once that's done I'll finish coming up with names for stuff and labelling. The finish work will consist of filling up the margins with diagrams, sketches, brew formulae, drinking songs, n stuff.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apr2010chaB..jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	23947  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

As usual, things are looking gorgeous. The only thing I might suggest is more fade along the edges of the water. The change from water to parchment(?) seems kind of sudden to me. Still, always a pleasure to see your works, both in progress and as finished products.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Not much of an update, been looking at buying a new house so time has been scarce. I'm in the process of coloring in my lil symbols right now and once that's done I'll finish coming up with names for stuff and labelling. The finish work will consist of filling up the margins with diagrams, sketches, brew formulae, drinking songs, n stuff.
    I wonder if there's a dwarven version of 'Eskimo Nell' ... probably best not go there.

Map's looking Fab Ascension!

Sweet.

It looks like we are looking down through the clouds and I love that. Maybe you could make the parchment area look more like clouds and make it official? It also reminds me of what the view through a scry glass might be. Either way it's already looking top notch.

I'm glad you stuck with it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

That's looking really great, man. I love how your style is constantly evolving and improving. My favourite part of this is actually your rivers which fit the map very naturally and look wonderful.

Keep it up.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Okay, I think I am finally happy with the main image. Coyotemax has said (at least I always give him the credit for it) that if you want it to look hand-drawn then you better hand-draw it...in this case paint. Well, digital paint. So I found a brush that I sort of liked then tweaked it and just grabbed some blues and greens and made some strokes. Now I have to fill up those edges with the above-mentioned stuff...not sure if that will actually happen or not The main thing is to try and keep things simple and repeatable as the image I'm playing with here is only half-size of the original. So if I ever want to go back and do all of this on the big map then it will be easy to do. In theory.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apr2010chaB..jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	24008  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That looks fabulous.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That really IS looking nice!
    And yes, I'm guilty for saying that.. I think it came up when i started working on the Blaeu style mps

Sometimes you spend more effort trying to come up with shortcuts than it's worth, and it's better just to fall back on "just draw it" - or in this case "just paint it". i'm glad you did, I **love** the way this looks.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast