Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2010 Challenge Entry - Boran's Big Travel Map

The handpainted texture is amazing. I like how you left room for future exploration too...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think I'm about done. I just have some minor things to look over and adjust, not sure just yet...I've been frantically trying to just get stuff in before time runs out.

### Winner ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apr2010chaB.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	24226  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I love the drinking songs. I'ts been a long time since I heard "Dough.. Ray.. Me..." etc

This is gonna be one tough vote!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hmm, I like all the add ons you did with this. I liked your old one though as well and I'm not sure which I like better at this point. This one really looks used and the words all over the place make it almost cluttered, which adds to the feeling of THIS being the map Boran had in his hands during his travels. I think I do miss a little of the color you took away however. It may just be a personal preference. You always have such beautifully colored maps maybe it's a good thing to tone it down now and then. There is a lot on here and you can just scroll around and enjoy the notes and comments as well as all the little glyphs and characters.

Great job I say!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

I think I am in agreement with Jaxilon over preffering the previous version. Not that I dislike this one, I think it's great and all the details you've added really bring it to life. But in my eyes your new muted colour scheme has diminished your mountains. There's no longer much shadowing around them so there's no illusion of depth, consequently I'm seeing the bright white of the snowcaps separate to them, like trails of clouds across the map.
    Just my opinion of course, most will likely disagree but I loved your mountains when there was more contrast in them.

Oh, and I can hardly make out those beautiful rivers now.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

well... I say this one is gorgeous! I love the colors (great color-scheme!), details (little mills and stuff), the "sketch/drawing" areas around the main map ... it all fits together perfectly: stunning job Ascension! cheers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff here Ascension...I hope I have time to finish my entry
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Color has been the biggest headache to me on this one. I wanted some vibrant but pale colors, more like hints or blushes, but they kept washing out. I wanted the whole thing to look more like faint watercolors on top of a parchment. Since I couldn't get the colors to my liking I just put some tan on top of the whole thing to mute it and be done with it. I've been working these damn colors for three weeks and left myself with 3 days to put in the rest of the stuff. Maybe next time, right?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast