Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April Challenge Entry - Muggeria

Wip April Challenge Entry - Muggeria

Hello all!
    This challenge is too good to let pass. This is the idea for the outlines, I want to make this old style and draw some mountains, hills and trees for it. Hope I find time and work something out I'm happy with.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groblayout..jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	23514  
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Huh? I know the "publisher" is a brewmaster and all, but I doubt that's what he's lookin' for. Good luck with that. Sorry for sounding negative.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice, GP, nice. The sponsor is looking for cool ideas and concepts as well as professionals for finish work. The idea might just be what they're looking for.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound mean. Prior to the announcement of this challenge, he did place this in the Map Request Forum. I showed some interest visited his site, as its always worth some research to see what a potential client is looking for. The artists and writers he's gathering seems to be intent on creating a viable fantasy world for his would be beer afficionado to explore and find interesting brews for his product. It didn't look to imply any kind of tongue and cheek humor, rather a serious work.

Being a brewmaster needs a fantasy world map, I can see Zar Peter's intent, as this is quite an unusual request compared to what a typical fantasy author or RPG publisher would require. If anything, this was a critique, being quite early in the challenge that maybe ZP could have a better chance to win the challenge and get a paid commission if he took the idea more seriously.

If ZP takes offense, I apologize, is not my intent to insult, rather offer some constructive criticism. If this is the map he wants to create, good luck - it looks fun, but may not be the best direction to take. And I'd hate to see this setting a precedent for other entries for the challenge (all shooting for tongue and cheek beer humor) as I am certain that is not what the publisher wants, based on descriptions and intentions as mentioned on his blog site.

Here's a link to that site, to help others decide on the tact to work with on such a project...
    http://fantasy-brewmasters.deviantar...blog/31225463/

I don't mean to put words in the publishers mouth, but just check out the site to help in decisions for the kind of map to develop. Please don't take offense - it was meant as an honest critique only.

GP

PS: its difficult to imply "tone" in written forum responses, and I can see how what my first post might have sounded overly negative, but I did try to say in that post I was not trying to do that.

PPS: I think my advice mainly is directed towards a paid commission, rather than just as a challenge entry. As a challenge entry the map is fine and worthy direction to go, I suppose.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-06-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

ZP, it is true that we are looking for a realistic map to use in our project, but your idea looks like a fun personal challenge.

We have some great writers on our site that have submitted more humorous stories. While they don't fit the direction of the book, they are still a pleasure to read. I always enjoy seeing (and encourage) people to take away what they want from our project.

If you're wanting to see your map make it to the book, I would consider GP's comments. However, if you want to cut loose and have some fun with this one, we'll certainly enjoy watching it come together.

I look forward to seeing your progression either way you go =)
    Cheers!
    Chris Guerra (PiC) at Fantasy Brewmasters

Actually I know my drawing qualities and I know the qualities of some others here. I'm no artist (you don't want me hear sing, either ). When I read about this months theme this outline popped out in my head (well, not exactly this, it was random generated with a little pattern underlay). And since I never had the impetus to make an antique style map I used this challenge to make one at least, according to the good advice of a famous member:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    We had a tie, back in Dec '08 Challenge, so its not unprecedented and two golden compasses were awarded. Of course this month, there is the publication award which is separate from the public vote. Still another day (or two) of voting to go, so nothing is locked in stone yet. I am glad that everyone has gotten at least two votes. In some of our past challenges there were those who got no votes - which is never fun for entrants, so this voting session is better for all, IMO.

For those who have yet to enter a challenge, consider this, while one may not win a given challenge, there is no better way to learn to map than participating. The fact that there's a limited time to create the map in following a specific theme or rules is very much like getting a commission from a publisher in working for a deadline. I know that I make better maps now because of challenge participation. After three such challenges, I got my first professional commission and have since created over 30 maps for various publishers (and got paid for it!)

So don't limit yourself to just voting. Get involved, you won't regret the experience gained and it may lead to a side career as a professional cartographer, which is just fun to earn money from something you love. Most people don't get paid for doing what they love, but we cartographers do!

GP
    I don't think I will earn money with my maps but I intent to have fun making them. And I try to get better. I'm sorry if I shocked you with my first sketch, GP, but that's my way of dealing with what was given to me (and I wanted to claim the idea before someone else does). I'm not a very serious man but I hope in the end there is something decent. I can't promise, though.

And I wanted to add an update but I'm still struggeling with the mountains and I decided to double the size to get more details in it so update will take a while.

Thanks! And again, I apologize if I came on strong in my previous posts - I have the best interests in everyone at heart. Please have fun and gain experience in this challenge in learning new styles! Here's some REP for entering the challenge!

Best Wishes,

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Well, I hope you are going to stick with this map
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

You have to stick with it...the gobbet has been thrown! (or was that gauntlet?) ROFL.

You know if you were willing to lose a bit of the straight lines and make the land mass more stylization based on a mug of ale you could tone down the tongue in cheek and still be fun. Say add a bit more head on the top of the mug and running down the sides, then turn the handle into a string of islands maybe with a slight flourish towards the end.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to pay attention unless there is a little humor involved so I like what you did but if you can incorporate GP's reminders you could well have one of the best brainstorm session going on here.

I'm reminded of Te-Amo the Heart shaped island Coyotemax did here for his girl. It was not a realistically shaped island but it was done as if it were and it looked great.

Thinking along the lines of constellations in the night sky....does Orion the Hunter really look like Orion? NAH, but you can see it in your imagination if you connect the dots.

Go for it, if nothing else we all get a good chuckle and who doesn't need that.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Latest update with mountains, some swamps and rivers. I intend to work 1-2 hours every day and ponder about ideas. Still have no clue what the end product will be looking like but I suppose it will be more stuffed with ideas than that it will look pretty. Unless I get a sense of colours, though.

And I think I will dump the river deltas, looking closer at this.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Projektv2-0..png 
Views:	102 
Size:	774.5 KB 
ID:	23586  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast