Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Subterranean Styles

Wip Experimental Subterranean Styles

All,
    I have been muddling around again... this time with subterranean dungeon map experiments. I have uploaded two examples of stylistic variation on the same basic room map. One involves lots of photoshop bevels and drop shadows for a 3-d effect. the other is intentionally simple stark and flat, and supposed to be more like an "illustration" than a birdseye view photo.

I would love to hear which one of these two styles people prefer. I am a bit on the fence right now between them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another-dungeon-&#1.gif 
Views:	124 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	23540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another-dungeon-&#1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	23541  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The one on the right would be easier on ink usage as it stands right now. If the black n white was reversed, black lines, then it would easier on ink. From an aesthetic point of view, that is up to the viewer but I like the stylized one over the simple one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I certainly agree about the ink usage. I am not to concerned about that cost, as I was more interested in using these maps on screen rather than on paper. I do like to get others points of view, even their subjective or aesthetic views. The "simple one" is intentionally inverted or reversed in colors. Typically a "hand-drawn" map would have black outlines for walls and white/lighter areas for open floors. There was an interesting map in the booklet found in one of the "god of war" video games that used this sort of reversed colors. I think they were basing the style off a form a decoration found on old greek/roman pottery. (white outlines that surround solid black or dark colored figures) Anyway I thought the reversed colors looked rather "dark and ominous" That's kinda what i was thinking anyway.

Ah, well then, yep. Mission accomplished
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I have continued to experiment with the same basic dungeon room layout, and I an trying to combine the two previous styles into one. Here is what I have come up with so far. To my eye this is starting to look better... anyone care to share their thoughts?

Views:	116 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	23638  

Ok, another stylistic experiment... I definitely think this one is the best by far. Now to make a mega-dungeon using this style!

Views:	119 
Size:	521.7 KB 
ID:	23666  
    Last edited by muddle; 04-11-2010 at 06:35 PM.

The dark one looks cool. The orange one looks like it's really hot there.

lol, yep I'm starting a new company... Muddle's Rather Toasty Subterranean Real Estate Inc. We have special deals on underground lairs over 150 degrees... ; )

Quote Originally Posted by muddle View Post
    Ok, another stylistic experiment... I definitely think this one is the best by far. Now to make a mega-dungeon using this style!
    Its a temple of the fire goddess!
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

All are great. I would say that my personal favorite was the black-on-white one. I thought that was rather interesting. I loved the reversed colors. What did you use to make it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast