Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land of Arvorn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Land of Arvorn

Hey just messing around with some techniques and following some random tutorials I've collected over the years... I went off Tear's Tutorial of Saderan for a few things so thanks for that! But this was just a run through of getting a base continent and some basic elements together and see how they look. This is pretty much an experiment to see if the elements fit and to get the basic procedure down.

Critique please!! I want to know what works, what doesn't, what could be added to make this better, I'm going to stick in some Icons, but would rivers be worth putting in at this scale!? or what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arvorn..jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	597.8 KB 
ID:	23554  
    Last edited by Yandor; 04-07-2010 at 01:28 AM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Nicely done. though i must point out that it kind of seems that the land-mass "floats" above the water. I'm not really sure about what makes me feel that way, maybe it's something about the border between the water and the land.

It's still a nice map though Nice choice of colours.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Nice map. Perhaps you could add a scale, so that we get a feeling of the size.

Really love the shape of the continents, and the terrain looks great as well. For the same reason as Aenigma pointed out, I think it looks like the land is above the water as well. Maybe blur or make the coast line a more neutral colour?

Hey thanks for the input, I'll mess with the shorelines a bit, I actually did it on purpose I guess, with the ocean relief I added in, and your right the stroke path around the continents doesn't help the floating either. So I'll mess with it a bit more and probably stick in a shelf. Thanks guys!
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Hey so I messed with the whole floating business, also edited a few other small things, I can't determine if I like the "lake" Border but I was trying to find something that could bring out the little lakes more than anything...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looks great although the scaling of the mountains is kind of weird on the eye. Maybe thinner mountain ranges might look better?
    You hit it on the nose Ravells, I was wondering what seemed "off" and when you said it I realized your right and thats what needs adjusting, so thats my next endeavor Thanks!

First one is Without the Lake Border
    Second one is WITH the Lake Border

Name:	Arvorn2..jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	547.1 KB 
ID:	23572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arvorn3..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	557.9 KB 
ID:	23573  
    Projects

So I've decided to try and take a stab at different elements to see how they fit with this style of map, and here is a sample piece, opinions please!!!

Dark Forest = Jungle
    Light Forest = Normal/Temperate Forests

Also theres the bluish color on the bottom left I think works as a marsh?? And I applied a little bit of foothills around the mountains, so please tell me if they do represent what I think they might or any other ideas please!!

oops, forgot the Volcano!

Name:	Elements..jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	23584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volcano..jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	23587  
    Last edited by Yandor; 04-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Projects

Looking at the original (starting) map, I kinda think it might be the combination of the outline around the continents + the bumpmapping of the ocean that makes it look kinda like its floating. And looking at the updated versions now, I think the first of the two looks much better than the second (and the original). I like what you did with the water.

I think the dark forest for jungle/light for temperate looks great. I'm a little iffy on the marsh - the blue looks odd, somehow. And the lava on the volcano, seems to bright in the lower-down parts, if that makes sense. Great map!

Meridok Thanks for the info!! I adjusted as you said, so thanks, Arvorn I didn't really like for whatever reason, so I had started on a newer larger map (which I absolutely like 100 times more than Arvorn map, but anyways heres the new Arvorn which for whatever reason I named Kalrum... Meh, it all works but heres the full map so far

I'll more than likely be adding rivers, and City Icons here soon, please comment, I want to know how I can make it better!

The only thing I can still see thats still persistent in my maps like this is the scaling of the mountains to the size of the continent, but other than that (and maybe its not an issue....) let me know!

Name:	Kalrum..jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	23596  
    Last edited by Yandor; 04-09-2010 at 02:49 AM.
    Projects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast