Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March/April 2010 Lite Challenge Entry: Aquatic Fortress

Ok, got some more done on this tonight. It is going to be close to get this done and as usual I'll probably still want to make changes right up to the end.

Advice is welcome even at this late point

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AquaFortDrk..png 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	23727  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

wonderful

What a novel and exciting idea! A floating Dwarven stronghold, now that's cool. I also really like the "stumpiness" of this ship, it certainly seems like the kind of vessel Dwarves would construct if they were in the ship-building industry. Great job Jaxilon. Repped.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks guys. I did try to think like a Dwarf and go "blocky" or "stumpy" as you put it. I am pleased to hear that it came across as intended.

Hopefully tonight I can finish this up. I doubt I will get the border I want mostly because I don't have a good way to draw the Sea Serpents I visualize (if my wife doesn't know what to get me for our anniversary I may have to have her head examined ). Drawing with a mouse just sucks or at least it does for me. At least I'm still having fun.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I love it!
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Very nice Jaxilion.
    The reason no one has seen them is because along their journey through the seas, they stumbled across the Kor-Tribrene Islands and founded the Isle Kingdom of Kor-Tribrene. There are at least a dozen Aquatic Fortress sailing around the Isles at any given time. Except they modified the hulls with a rare elephant skin. It gives the Aquatic Fortress's a fiercer appearance as their sailing towards you.

All kidding aside, great idea and really love the feel of your map/blue print of the Aquatic Fortress.
    The Aquatic Fortress has just became the official sailing vessel for the dwarfs of the Isle Kingdom of Kor-Tribrene.
    Last edited by A R Frost; 04-13-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: What else but bad spelling, or I should say bad typing.

Awesome, I know this is definitely going into my campaign world that I run. They haven't got much into Dwarven society yet but this will be fun to include. I like the idea of another kingdom being founded by these stalwart sailors. It would create an entirely new twist to the typical history of Dwarfkind. I'll have to think about mounting a couple tusks up on the bow instead of that silly axe

If they have cannon, I'd mount one that fired forward instead of clumsy close-up weapons. I wouldn't even bother with a ramming device on the prow; this ship is not going to be quick and responsive enough to make ramming attacks practical. It might have boarding devices for coming alongside an enemy and fighting hand-to-hand to capture another ship.

I know I haven't really done any labeling on the side and top views of the main ship (not sure if I should) but you may notice what looks like a drawbridge on either side of the "fort" portion, that is for boarding or whatever. Originally I saw large Crossbow like weapons mounted on top along the walls and bow of the ship. I may or may not get around to drawing those up however. I was thinking they might even be portable, in that several Dwarves could break one down and move it to another location, even off the ship if needed; ala a modern day Machine gun turret type deal.

As you mentioned, the thought momentarily crossed my mind regarding cannons facing fore and aft but I figured I may not get to everything before the deadline so I will just have to take care of what needs the most attention. If I can get around to it, I'll see if I can incorporate more of that stuff. Forward cannons would be sweet.

As far as the ramming device on the prow that to me smacks of Dwarf logic as much as anything about Dwarves going to sea. I'm convinced in my mind that they will loose it once they have some experience but this was their first foray into shipbuilding according to my records. For this particular model I think I will leave it. Did you realize that it is able to be raised up triggered to come swinging down chopping enemies like kindling? Hahaha, more Dwarf Ship logic there. It makes me laugh when I think about it. There has to be some use for such a device even if it never worked as intended...I mean what's better than a mechanical smashing Axe on the front of a ship? LOL

Ok, I think I finished this for all the basics. If I'm missing anything blatant please let me know and I'll see what I can do about it. I can think of a bunch of little things I would like to add in but won't have time for.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AquaFortDrk..png 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	23795  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-14-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast