Thread: Greetings Ye Fellow Cartographers !

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings Ye Fellow Cartographers !

Greetings Ye Fellow Cartographers !

Greetings !

First of all, if my english's not clear, please ask me to reformulate...
    But let me introduce myself by saying that I really enjoyed seeing all of your community working hard on cartographic maps. This because I do have also a hobby that consists in creating a world from A to Z...
    My name is Jim Walker and I live in Switzerland. I'm currently studying Medieval History and Medieval Languages at the University.
    As I was saying, I'm working on a great scale project since I am ten or eleven years old. It really started as a serious project only since I've been encouraged by some of my friends around me who try to give me support. And with their help I'm finally able to think that, someday, it'll be finished.
    What brought me to your community is the gentle google search engine, as I was desperately looking for some good tutorials concerning realistic mapping.
    The project I work on started for RPG needs first (I was GM for D&D but I always felt a bit uncomfortable and frustrated by the Forgotten Realms aesthetic). Then it evolved in a real hobby that wasn't linked anymore with RPG matters (though I'm still playing on the same map).
    What I tried to do in my project is creating a consistent world - not just saying "this is it" but attempt to give explanations about why things are the way they are. For this purpose I've drawn a huge map using Illustrator (to have it very precise), set up the astronomical environment (with the help of my former math teacher), created the tectonic, volcanic and geological map. I'm now on the way of establishing the climate map. Meanwhile my coworkers and I have designing mineral materials and we're working now on plants.
    After all this part we will pursue with animal design and finally social species with their own culture, religion, language, history, legends, …

I really adore working on this project for it represents at least 8 years of my life. And that's also why I'm still nervous about somebody stealing our job.

I wish I could get some advices or help from some of you to get this project (or at least its mapping part) done properly, as real professional !

Let me now show some pictures thumbs about what I've done.

I'm very glad to enter your Guild and hope it'll be fruitful for both side !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relief..png 
Views:	93 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	23565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geologic..png 
Views:	61 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	23566

Name:	height..png 
Views:	76 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	23567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campaign..png 
Views:	93 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	23569

Name:	planet..png 
Views:	98 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	23568
    Last edited by Guldaroth; 04-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)