Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hills and waterfalls in CD3?

Help Hills and waterfalls in CD3?

Hello! Am building a city where I was planning to have one part of the town elevated by a hill (Sort of like the town of Fallcrest from the DnD 4th ed DM guide book) and then have a river run through it. I've been fiddling with different layers and effects but I really don't seem to be able to get it right. Any tip or tutorial available on how to make a hill/make the ground look elevated an then a waterfall down that hill?

Not a user of CD3, but I know Gandwarf is and when he was trying to do this he could not do it within CD3 either, he ended up exporting the file to a JPG, then using Photoshop or GIMP to create the "elevated" look to achieve hills - I'm sure it could be just as easily done to create cliffs with waterfalls as well. I forget the name of the term, "bump map" maybe, create a copy of the map as a separate layer, done in grey scale then painting hills and valleys using the dodge and burn tool (white is high elevation and black is low elevation.)

I am sure that CD3 is not capable of doing that alone. You have to combine using multiple apps to achieve this.

Some one may be able to give you a more precise answer. I don't use GIMP or PS much beyond tweaking images, I use Xara Xtreme for all my mapping and can achieve what I need in there.

Final answer, you need to create the elevated illusion using an image editing program - you can't do this in CD3.

Hope that helps.

GP

Edit: here is a link to Gandwarf's city maps, to see it done effectively to CD3 maps. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...warf+City+maps

Here is one tutorial on doing this in GIMP:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ght=dodge+burn
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-07-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I agree with GP and I also remember the "Oakvale" map from mox404. It was a mix of CD3 and PS. Perhaps it inspires you.

Holy... I just saw Oakvale and it looks amazing! Now I gotta find photoshop tutorials for making hills and waterfalls >_>

I never used other software to create the hills or waterfalls in my maps. However, I agree with Gamerprinter that it's difficult to create satisfactory hills or waterfalls in CD3. The only waterfall I did was in the Ziadon map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1229640809

I think I could do a much better waterfall with CC3/CD3 now. I have picked up some experience since that map. I think it's even possible to mimick the Oakvale cliffs and waterfalls with CC3/CD3, using imported textures. Photoshop really is the better software though if you want complete freedom. CC3/CD3 lets you import textures, but you are limited in the effects you can apply.

Now, if I could only find the energy to map again... looking back at that Ziadon map I know I could do so much better now
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 04-07-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I think you should find some energy to map again indeed! I've seen many of them and they look really great! It's thanks to your tutorial that I learnt CD3!

I am certain that almost everything can be achieved within CC3/CD3 if one experiments. Note I say almost everything.

I would be willing to try and experiment to do what you are looking for if you can show an example.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

This is what got me wanting to make a hill and waterfall. Something sorta similar to that =/ Maybe not as detail but at least that sort of effect.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Snug, that's a Mike Schley (member name Schley) map and he hand-draws his stuff so getting something similar from CC3 or CD3 will be pretty hard. If I remember correctly, though, there might be something similar in one of their annuals.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yes of course, I'm not after the detail, only a way of getting an acceptable look of hills and a waterfall. Could also say I'm after somewhat of the look of the Oakvale map which is made by mox404, and I know the hills and waterfall there is made in photoshop so I won't achieve the same detail and effect. Nevertheless, it's only a simulation of that effect I'm after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast