Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Corrol (My first map!!)

Map Map of Corrol (My first map!!)

Hi all!

This map is made with Gimp 2. It represents Corrol, a campaign world also made by me. I'd like to have constructive critism from it, 'cause it's my first map made with computer (Or my first good map made wih computer )

Also, FIRST POST!!!

P.S. The names of the countries AREN'T creative I know... I'll probably change/modify few of them latter on... (Like Golgothra )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As a first map it's just fine, nothing wrong with it at all. It's a good countries map or political map. You could add some towns to it (if it were bigger) and maybe roads and interesting places (dungeons, temples, etc) but the two things that you need are a compass to determine north and a scale so we know how big the place is. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's a updated map:

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    As a first map it's just fine, nothing wrong with it at all. It's a good countries map or political map. You could add some towns to it (if it were bigger) and maybe roads and interesting places (dungeons, temples, etc) but the two things that you need are a compass to determine north and a scale so we know how big the place is. Good job.
    Yeah, your right, but adding towns or places of intrests would make the map really messy, because the map is so small.. I'll make more detailed maps from the countries with cities, roads, lakes and such later on... This map was just practice for the future.

Guild Journeyer

Congratulations on your first map!

You might want to try this simple tutorial to add some detail to your coastline.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...tic-Coastlines

Also some of the labels have a bolder and more ornate typeface. Does that indicate something? If so it's not clear what it indicates.

Thanks from the link! Altought I wanted the map look like it would be drawn by hand.

And yes, those countries which have been written with more ornate letters are civilized countries, countries ruled by men. I should have thought that too I'll probably colour them some how later on so it wouldn't be so unclear.
    Cubanfrog is the smallest frog in the world.... (Really)

Wow, that map is looking good. I agree with jwbjerk that you might want to add some detail to the coastlines, but then again if this is just a practice map it might not be something you want to focus on. I actually like the country names - especially how the you've got several all starting with the same letter in the same area (makes the countries feel consistent - like there's a history there). The only one that "isn't creative" is "the empire" ^.^ But of course there could be a great reason or history to that name, or it could be a direct translation from a language of the country ^__^ Keep of the good work; can't wait to see one that's more than just a practice map.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Looks great! Feels like you got long history behind all these names. For no apparent reason i would like to live in a place called Ur.... just... no idea why.
    Keep of the good work, looking forward for more!

Thanks for positive comments!

There is little history I've made for the countries. Your kinda right with the empire, I should rename it... For now on, it'll be....
    Sarthorn! Will fix that soon. Again thanks. I'll post the map of the Emp... Sarthorn soon.

And if your intrested, Ur is a forest country which suffers from constant attacks of barbarians. The people are called Urians and their hair is usually black, their eyes are brown and they make exellent archers because Ur's main economy is hunting. XD feel alike?

Heh, not really me, except hair.. and thing that i love forests
    Mind if i ask, whats in Elshamar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast