Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop 7 - Overworld Map Project

If you use the tree brush/tool/thingy on the river layer, you can create a swampy area that looks pretty good. I love these tutorials by the way.

Hey RPBMapMaker. I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial. I was looking for a way to make a realistic map and this is just perfect. Thanks soo much!
    This is the map I made through your tutorial. Its for a fantasy world Im creating. This is the realm of Athanas. Ive yet to add in the cities/fortress/roads etc. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-D Map of Athanas.jpg 
Views:	1821 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	38905

Kudos to you!

Hence I suck at mapping, I'm going to try this! Thanks.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

thanks a lot, the tools works perfectly... and it was just what i was needing for making a map...

i will upload a preview as soon as im done

thanks a lot agai
    -----------------------------------
    edit (map added)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Genoter-Map.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	39504

i've duplicated the tree and mountain layers and got some nice colours for making some other mountains, and even some cherry blossom forests

YOUR TOOLS ARE AWESOME
    Last edited by kabukun; 10-27-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: adding map

Guild Apprentice

Great tutorial, so much so that it provokes a first post from me. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing, some of the examples are looking really good. Any plans on an update on your thoughts to getting a decent coastline or larger body of water using this style?

I'd like to add a map to this thread, but am not overly hopeful of getting anything worthwhile finished!

Anyhow, great work!

-------- Edit ---------

My first map!!

Again, thanks a lot for sharing, it's certainly helped me to get a map finished (well, nearly finished anyway!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OW_Tut04.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	39826  
    Last edited by furiousuk; 11-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Blog Entries

I tried this .psd file too and i liked the results. One question or request for RPGMapMaker or anyone with an equivalent version PhotoShop to what he used.

I can work with the file perfectly well in my elements 6 copy but if i try to alter his layers to use my own color overlay on the mountains i can't recreate the effect, maybe not possible in elements? If someone who can, would upload a version without the mountains pre-colored brown I'd appreciate it. I'd like to try it with other colors for the mountains.

Guild Applicant

Hey RPGMapMaker
    I've just spent the past week searching for a cartographers software package, but didn't have much luck.
    I had all ready decided that any close ups of important villages/towns were going to be created using ZBrush, however due to the poor results of my software search I decided I had no choice but to create my world maps with ZBrush. That was until I found your tutorial videos on youtube last night.

I have used Photoshop for years and even created my own brushes, however your videos opened some exciting new doors for me. THANK YOU!
    It's strange how similar your workflow was to using ZBrush. It really blew me away.
    Thanks again for sharing the time and hard work you obviously spent developing this technique. YOU ARE A STAR!!!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Vicious the Jester's Avatar

Looks like this is what I'll be trying to use for my first "real" attempt at a map. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll let you know how things go.

Great tutorial ... very clever.
    I loved it.

I had to pop in here and give you praise for your generosity and talent. Thank you for all the hard work you put into map making and then sharing your knowledge and efforts with the community.

I've been drawing paper maps for years but learning on the computer has been challenging and because of people like you and all the other contributors to this site the task has gotten easier and enjoyable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast