Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop 7 - Overworld Map Project

Something I've found that works, with mountain formation, while I've been dinking around and modifying your own methods to some of my own (your method for mountains is way simpler than what mine was, mine was a sort of clone stamp process, but not as eloquent as some of the others in tutorials.) The erase tool set to a spatter brush at around 45 pixels, give or take per needs, put to flow and opacity 100% can be used to modify the mountain body itself, after your click method, to work possible valleys, passes, and some other terrain features. Basically painting back in the 'flats' before adding in the high and lowlands. I've also found a basic airbrush blur at Normal and 50% strength can help in soft tweaking some of the peak lines in the middle as well as along the click texture. As you can see here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain tweaks.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	50995

It's subtle, and as you can also see I've been fingerpainting with the high and lowlands to make some tests with passes (need to narrow them canyons m'self) and a bit of a basin that will likely be turned into a desert. I use a Wacom tablet more than raw mouse, so that would have some added difference to it as well, so that changes the texture as well, and I've been experimenting with both mouse and tablet. But thought some folks might find this little example of what I've been discovering helpful in addition to the plethora of work RPGmaker has done.

I have been trying to figure out how the author set up the original mountain layer in Photoshop. I am using Photoshop CS6, I create the layer, add a color overlay and a bevel, but when I do it bevels the whole image. I guess the problem is, it is not letting me draw in bevel. What am I doing wrong here?
    Last edited by sylven; 04-09-2014 at 05:21 PM.

sylven I would guess that you don't have the mountains on a separate layer ! ?
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    sylven I would guess that you don't have the mountains on a separate layer ! ?
    Yes, the bevel/color overlay is on a separate level. I wanted to keep it very basic, so I only have two layers at the moment, a ground layer, and what you would consider a mountain layer (inner bevel / color overlay). Keep in mind though, I am starting from scratch; rather than open the psd file incorporated in the tutorial, I wanted to try to create my own. But like I said, every time I set the bevel layer, it simply bevels the whole page. I made sure my settings were identical as they could be to the tutorial settings without doing a complete copy over, at least for the purposes of figuring out how to do it. I know I am either forgetting to click something so I can "draw in bevel," or the settings are not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the purpose for making a custom start up is for a more tailored layout, in addition I just want to learn how to create custom settings like this. While I have worked in GIMP, Paintshop, SAI, and several other programs; Photoshop is kind of new to me.

Map

I was able to draw this map for my story a year ago using this tutorial after trying to figure out how to grab the autocad file and bringing it into PS7. I tweaked a few parameters but everything else is still the same. I have been playing around with some of the suggestions you guys have posted on here and they are amazing!

Name:	Story Map.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	70699
    Last edited by Relyon Sun; 02-08-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: trying to attach image file

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and especially your toolset! In less than an hour I was able to take my map making skills from 0 to novice by following your video tutorials and using your tools and file! I've subscribed to your videos and I look forward to learning more from you. Do you have anything for smaller scale maps, like for overland travel in a DnD game? Thanks again for your attitude of sharing and teaching!

Relyon Sun, Nice job! Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardivitch View Post
    Hey RPBMapMaker. I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial. I was looking for a way to make a realistic map and this is just perfect. Thanks soo much!
    This is the map I made through your tutorial. Its for a fantasy world Im creating. This is the realm of Athanas. Ive yet to add in the cities/fortress/roads etc. Thanks again.

Attachment 38905
    Well done! Looks great!!
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-28-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: merging triple posts

Absolutely amazing tools! Using this set up, I can knock out a Local map for my DnD campaign in literally a few minutes. Thank you so much! Heres just a sample I did to proof test it.

Name:	Overworld_Map_Project_Tools_Test.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	745.0 KB 
ID:	71364

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123