Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop 7 - Overworld Map Project

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Tutorial [Award Winner] Photoshop 7 - Overworld Map Project

Hi all,

This has been a long time coming and for that I am sorry... but I have started working on the "PS7-OMP". I work in Photoshop 7 because not everyone has a newer version of Photoshop and this cuts down on compatibility issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Megan4..jpg 
Views:	2395 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	24103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overworld_Map_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	23585

I am not much for typing so I have made a rough video tutorial (Part one & two) and posted it to YouTube here:

PS7-OMP "Part 1" on YouTube
    PS7-OMP "Part 2" on YouTube
    PS7-OMP "Part 3" on YouTube

To go along with the video here is the .psd file and the brush pre-sets that I am using. This should let everyone (with Photoshop) open the layer styles and play around with the method I am using. I am not sure if you can do this sort of thing in GIMP but it would not surprise me if you can.

PS7-OMP..zip

Well, After making three parts... I am not sure I have fully explained all of the things you can do with this .psd file. I am sure I will make more videos sometime later (assuming there is interest) to highlight different things you can use the techniques other than making mountains and textured dirt... but for now I will wait to see if anyone likes this method and find out if others would like to add layers, brushes or techniques to the project .psd ...So I really look forward to some of you trying out the .psd file and posting what you come up with.

I am as always open to comments, questions, and critiques ...and "happy mapping"

-RPGMapMaker
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 05-06-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added New Map Image
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

This is great stuff, rpg! I've watched the first one...I love the smudge to get cliffs / texture. Rated and repped and can't wait to see the others, but I'm off to watch the US masters last day now.

Map Test Map...

Thanks, I am looking forward to comments and critiques as other watch the videos.

I do hope that some of the cartographers here at the guild will test out this method so I can see if I have explained it enough or if more videos or explanation here on the forum is needed.

Here is a more complete test map using the .psd file. I also like telling/writing stories and have taken a piece from one of them for this map.

Name:	Callborne_1..jpg 
Views:	2381 
Size:	552.3 KB 
ID:	23694

-RPGMapMaker
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Rpgmapmaker I'm really surprised there isn't more activity on this, this is an excellent tutorial, and great elements, it reminds me of aeronox and Pyrandon's work and their own tutorials, and tools they used. Both of which were amazing at this style, but needless to say you bring new life and a great look to it! Thanks for the ideas, and tutorial!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Trust me I'm trying to use it in GIMP. I love his style.
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah I'm using Gimp as well but I don't know it well enough to duplicate everything here so I wound up just tearing off after a bit and ending up with something else.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I have been playing around with this in GIMP... all I can say is I don't know GIMP and that makes things harder. I was able to find some Script-Fu scripts for layer effects that work okay but are not dynamic... you have to apply them to the layer after you finish drawing in the elements... that makes it very hard to edit on the fly. I only tested the mountain effect and was mostly successful but using the smear tool to edit and shape is not possible the way GIMP applies the effects. I will have to defer making this work in GIMP to someone who knows it better. I am sure it can work but you would need to know the final settings for the Script-Fu effects and have the layers drawn before applying them.

This is what I got... I just used one of the standard GIMP grunge brushes set to 50% opacity and similar settings to the bevel and emboss found in my .PSD

Name:	OMP_GIMP_Test1..jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	24091

The Script-Fu Layer Effects Website

-RPGMM

RPGmapmaker - this tutorial has been invaluable in my efforts to learn overland mapping thus far! Consider yourself repped.

Awesome style, exelent tutorial.

I'm enjoying making my map.

Good work!

Amazing! Congratulations for this tutorial!

Salut,
    Josep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast