Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your ultimate gaming room

Default Your ultimate gaming room

If money was no object what would your ultimate gaming room look like?

No poll as such, but do you think it would be a good idea for a challenge (it would be indulgent and fun!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It would have a toilet... (c'mon you knew that was comin' )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've already got mine...I'm single so I can get away with it. Leather easy chair, computer, tv, fridge is like 5 steps away, microwave is three steps from that, stereo, a big couch to sleep on while watching tv, plenty of windows for breezes, air conditioning, and a fan. I spend 90% of my time in this room so I don't even bother with the rest of the house. The other 10% is the kitchen.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Mine was 18 feet by 30 feet, kitchen at one end, overhead lights, an 8 foot by 5 foot gaming table with chairs all around except for the couch on one side of the table, several vinyl battlemats, and a small table to the side for the DM. For 7 glorious years it regularly served eight or more people during game sessions (it was nice to be the only person living in a 4 bedroom, 2000 square foot house). The toilet was down the hall from the game room with an industrial-strength exhaust fan - putting it IN the game area would be a bad idea because we all know how gamers get after an evening of snacking.

Then I got married and now all my gaming stuff lives in boxes under stuff in an unused room and I don't game anymore. My workspace has been reduced to a 3 foot by 5 foot table with my computer on it and a bookshelf behind me. This is not a tale of woe, just an observation of change.

It would be made of gold.

This is more practical than it first sounds, as I could just break off a piece now and then to fund the purchase of new games.

Mine would have a home-made version of one those dining/gaming tables that Ravs pointed out earlier in the General Forum. Home-made because those tables are missing elements that I would need. Mainly an LCD projector mounted underneath pointing upward to a frosted quality acrylic tabletop. I would use a VTT app, probably MapTools displaying my encounter maps, but the image would have to be in reverse, so it would appear properly looking at it from the other side.

Plus those expensive tables in that other thread had dice rolling boxes underneath, except nobody but you can see the results, which wouldn't work for me. I'd need a clear acrylic box that you could roll your dice and everyone could see the results. The box would be attached to a swivel arm so you could roll it under the table edge and out of the way, when you're not needing it. Of course, every chair position would have their own acrylic box.

At one edge of the table would be the DMs chair (of course, the most comfortable leather easy chair, unlike the players -heh). Overhead would be two or three flat sceen monitors, attached to ceiling mounted swivel arms, that I could pull down to just over my head, so I could view PDFs of the adventure, as well as access to PDF for rules of all the splats being used in play. A keyboard and mouse would sit just beneath the DM's side table edge so I could place map objects for PCs/NPCs/Monsters, or change the overhead screens to different books.

On one side of the room would be a kitchen sink and counter, fridge, microwave and a snack cabinet. On the other side would be shelves for the minis, books, dice boxes, item cards, etc, etc. The entry way would be on the opposite wall from the DM's chair, with a bathroom in the hall just beyond the entry with a powerful fan to keep the PCs from smelling up the game room. There would be some windows on one or more walls, but then curtains to close them, since we mostly play at night - to keep the snoopy next door neighbors from looking in and freaking out at our late night activities. Behind the DMs chair would be a couch, and a wall mounted TV, and a phone.

I would sound proof the room to cut down some of the mayhem, and possible have an exterior back door, so you can enter and leave without disturbing the rest of the house...

That would be my ultimate game room!

GP

PS: if I can get my most recent publication to have any kind of real success, we'll see if I can make this dream game room into a reality! (I'm single, so got no wife to tell me "NO!")
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Argh dammit.... my whole post dissapeared due to flicking between windows...
    I'll sum up ... I agree with GP, although I'd like a real screen game table - like that microsoft-touch-screen-table-thingy ... computerscreens discreetly placed for scenario info, but not in the way for leaning in and playing
    snacks, small kitchen, fridge.
    Maps on walls
    cosy and game inspirering environment
    Nice soft chairs that you can sit in for days

Unfortunatly I don't have room for that at home - so I need more than being able to pay for the room - I need a bigger house to get the room in the first place ... luckily my wife is a roleplayer too - so with a bigger house, I'm guessing I could get that room

But ultimately I should need even more money - cause you gotta have money enough that you have time for playing all day scenarios at least once a week... and perhaps pay your friends jobs to let them have game day off *lol*

yep - one can dream...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I've played in all sorts of environments but my favorite games were in high school with 4-5 of us scrunched in around a 2' x 3' table in the garage, sitting on boxes, a cot, whatever was handy. So I guess my needs in a gaming table are pretty basic. : )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can definitely identify with that OldGuy. All these fancy schmancy bells n whistles...who needs em. "Back in my day..."
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast