Thread: Ross Racine - Hand drawn sattelite style maps

Default Ross Racine - Hand drawn sattelite style maps

it's all modern maps but this guy has a really cool style.

Website here.

Love the style...hate the roads. Can you imagine living on the cul de sac in that spiral neighborhood? Yech.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Doesn't this guy use one of those procedural generators to come up with the layout if not the whole thing? I can't remember the software but it was very pricey.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

They were saying on Cartotalk that it was all handdrawn...bits of it do look procedural though, now you come to mention it.

Yeah, mearrin...some of those places would be hell to live in, a bit like that stupid palm tree thing they have in Dubai, which they sold properties to lots of very rich people to and which has now tanked..... heh heh...the price of a vanity property hey? I mean, how seriously stupid is this idea?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-dubai-palm-isl&#.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	23548  

Yeah because houses built on sand work out so well. Haven't these sunk into the Sea yet? Just looking at it freaks me out. The thought of living on that just makes me shake my head. I'd have to say if I lived there when the storm hit and my life flashed before my eyes I would know my death was my own fault.

Does anyone know if they are as unsafe as they seem to look? Do they float?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

From what I remember (saw a special on TV), they are actually laying down tons of stone and rock to build up the foundation below the sand/water level, so I expect it will be stable over at least several decades as long as they at not hit by storm after storm constantly. I could be wrong on this however.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

They brought in Dutch engineers and as we have been fighting the water for centuries, I think the houses will be pretty safe. Indeed they will have a strong foundation and there are flood breakers. Not sure if they can finish because of the debt thing though
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...