Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] This Orb: world-building and mapping project

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Loving the whole orb idea, I especially like the fact that there is a definite centre to the world too, the gateway between the oceans! I take it there's a canal there, an a hefty price to pay to use it!
    The antique map is brilliant! How did you get the concentric rings in the seas? I've tried to do something similar but it always ends up looking very poor, as opposed to the crispness of those you've created.

J

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by The_Buce View Post
    Loving the whole orb idea, I especially like the fact that there is a definite centre to the world too, the gateway between the oceans! I take it there's a canal there, an a hefty price to pay to use it!
    The antique map is brilliant! How did you get the concentric rings in the seas? I've tried to do something similar but it always ends up looking very poor, as opposed to the crispness of those you've created.
    Thanks.

The gateway is about 50 miles wide at it narrowest, and rather elevated in the middle, much less convenient than Panama. Canals are unfortunately out of the question, which means that most cargoes get unloaded there, which makes it more exotic than if most stuff just traveled directly through.

For the "ripples" i use Photoshop's "outer glow" effect. Instead of a single color, i set it to a gradient. "Technique" must be set to "precise".
    The gradient fluctuates between opaque and transparent portions see attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outer glow.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	34383

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123