Thread: Hello Guild members

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Mutant Lord's Avatar

Post Hello Guild members

Greetings from the frost bitten woodlands of interior British Columbia, Canada!

I've been wanting to get involved in this site since the moment I came across it many months ago.. just had to complete my new Portfolio site and ditch the old commercial design career. I've been doing a ton of freelance RPG and commercial illustration for the past few years, but have finally made the leap to going full time as a freelance fantasy and SF artist.
    Producing fantasy maps has been one of my biggest joys in this line of work, and something I've done since I was a little kid, and then plenty of as a game master for nearly 20 years. While I work both digitally and traditionally, depending on the job, I tend to do all my maps by hand, even the 3d sculpted ones.

I am very excited to finally post here and be part of something that I am so interested in. To see so many others into speculative cartography is fantastic; the talent pool here is something that others (art directors) need to be made aware of.

best regards,
    Will / Mutant Lord

Oh, yeah, here is a link to my maps page on my new site...

http://www.mcauslandstudios.com/maps.htm
    William McAusland aka Mutant Lord
    Author, Artist and Publisher

web site http://www.mutantepoch.com

"The Mutant Epoch is about humankind's attempt to reclaim some semblance of civilization, calling upon its best and boldest to uncover the lost knowledge and power of the old ones."

Welcome Will! And we're really happy and lucky to have someone with your talent joining as part of the community! I hope that you'll take a little time to help people like me with the modest efforts that we produce!

Great to have you on board - as you're an industry pro, Arcana, who runs the site will give you the moniker soon enough I expect.

Ravs

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Industry Pro indeed...its great to have ya aboard Will! Thats some phenomenal work ya have there, and its good to see another pro taking the artform to another level. Great use of illustration as well to enhance your maps!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I'll add my welcome here as well! Will you do some extraordinary work. I love the clay maps that you produce. That is an entirely unrepresented medium here and I have to say one that really stands out. Beautiful work!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

FROZEN BITTEN INTERIOR OF BC!

Come now, ain't that cold in Kamloops right now! I'm originally from Prince George and I think it gets colder there!

But welcome to the Boards! I live in the Sunny Lower Mainland now myself!

Glad to have you aboard!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Will--It's great to have you here. I came across your old site some time ago and yoinked oh, about a dozen or more of your works to place in my "awesome references" folder. (In fact, last May I posted you here at the Guild as a "recommended resource"; see http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=538)

So glad you're here--and your enthusiasm for both the genre and this site thrills me. Welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist Mutant Lord's Avatar

Post Thanks for the warm reception/ maps for novels?

Thank you for the warmest welcome I’ve ever had on a forum! I’ll certainly have to let fellow artists and some of my client publishers about this joint. Meanwhile I am going to spend a few hours checking out all the amazing maps your members have created. Truly a renaissance in cartography has emerged here.

I have a bunch of maps that I didn’t get to add to my site, due to time constraints and ongoing work on them, but seeing what’s been going on here, I think I will revisit that section of my portfolio. Map illustration makes up about a quarter of all the work I do for RPG companies.

I wonder, does anyone here do maps for novels? You know, those little ink things in the front of most fantasy books.

Anyhow, thanks again for the reception, now, to cruise about the site...
    Regards,
    Will

PS. No, it’s not that frosty in Kamloops just yet, but we live in the mountains outside and the frost has killed most of our garden so far this year. Prince George, B.C., which is considerably further north, gets more severe winters for sure.
    William McAusland aka Mutant Lord
    Author, Artist and Publisher

web site http://www.mutantepoch.com

"The Mutant Epoch is about humankind's attempt to reclaim some semblance of civilization, calling upon its best and boldest to uncover the lost knowledge and power of the old ones."

There is huge room for improvement for many of the maps typically found in the flysheet of novels. One gets the impression that they are usually afterthoughts or drawn by the writer.