Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for collaborators (poss. paid)

Default Looking for collaborators (poss. paid)

Looking for map collaborators; underground and outdoors

I seek the skills of a good “old school” map-maker; i.e., graph paper based, conventional style mapping as done in the earliest modules, the G Series. Look at this as a chance to audition your map-drawing skills; when we (Frank Mentzer, Harold Johnson, Jim Ward and others besides me) get our new endeavor up and running, all of us doing the creating of the new material will be using our own favorite artists and mapmakers when it counts; i.e., when we can pay $$$.

This will involve creating the floor plan and under-levels of a very old, sprawling temple complex now in a desert. You will have complete artistic freedom to create this; I much prefer looking at a blank map and creating what is on it to trying to think them up cold. I’m also a lot better at doing it that way.

I am also looking for someone that likes to draw outdoor maps; will be through a desert with three or four possible outdoor encounters.

These will be used for the new adventure that I am writing for NorTexCon in June, so time is winding down on me. All I can offer is full credit in the adventure and a Contributor’s Copy of the very limited edition. (These Lim. Ed. go for surprising prices at various auctions.)

When I find a couple of old-style mappers whose style I like, I will be able to call upon them when our new company starts rolling out products. Our business plan involves each of us creative types packaging our stuff how we think it should be done. That will all be subject to change if we guess badly.

First Rights to the maps would go to Celtic Studios (my company) for original publication (non-commercial). Subsequent usage will be negotiated at the time of proposal to publish. All of my custom adventures for Cons (This will be the fifth) will be re-written and modified for commercial release so as to preserve the "custom" nature of the originals.
    Last of the really old-timers
    Father of THE DRAGON

THAT WOULD BE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I cannot email you yet (lake of posts on your part), here is a link within the Guild's Archives to some oldscool maps I did a while back.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l-Map-Take-Two
    Last edited by torstan; 04-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by kaskoid View Post
    This will involve creating the floor plan and under-levels of a very old, sprawling temple complex now in a desert. You will have complete artistic freedom to create this; I much prefer looking at a blank map and creating what is on it to trying to think them up cold. I’m also a lot better at doing it that way.
    Couple questions
    -Is this to be an active or abandoned Temple?
    -You imply it was once NOT in a desert but now is, correct?
    -You want a map of just rooms that you can populate yourself like the old school modules, no need for descriptions?

I realize you are granting creative freedom to the artist but I'm just one of those guys who has to double check. Not sure if I'll have any time this month but the answers might be helpful for someone else.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Couple questions
    -Is this to be an active or abandoned Temple?
    -You imply it was once NOT in a desert but now is, correct?
    -You want a map of just rooms that you can populate yourself like the old school modules, no need for descriptions?

I realize you are granting creative freedom to the artist but I'm just one of those guys who has to double check. Not sure if I'll have any time this month but the answers might be helpful for someone else.
    Abandoned/buried in sand some centuries ago. Was near the edge of the Burning Sands, but then was engulfed by shifting sands after catachlysmic climate change (no need for other details of my world at this point).
    Just rooms with maybe a suggestion of what you thought they might be; "penitent's cells", "inner sanctum of high priest", "vault", etc. I discovered a couple of years ago that I can create some pretty neat stuff when just handed a picture and told to "make it something". This was during a massive update of a massively popular mod of the PC game Age of Wonders--Shadow Magic. They would show me the sprite of a creature or Hero and then I would create what they were and give them their abilities and stuff; then the coder-guy made them that way. I did an awful lot of them for that mod.

Time is of the essence, I know I am asking a lot. I just did another adventure for GaryCon II and used Dundjinni maps--this time I am looking for the older feel and get an idea of which way I should go with my future adventures.
    Father of THE DRAGON

Am I to understand you would like us to start this project immediately?

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Am I to understand you would like us to start this project immediately?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Time is of the essence, I know I am asking a lot. I just did another adventure for GaryCon II and used Dundjinni maps--this time I am looking for the older feel and get an idea of which way I should go with my future adventures.

I have gotten several responses in the last few hours; choosing might be hard. But anyone I don't get with on this one is certainly a possible for another one I'm probably going to be writing for GenCon for a group I did one for last year.
    Father of THE DRAGON

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dang, such a great opportunity and I have no old-school maps to show. Guess I better get my butt in gear.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Unfortunately, yes.

I have gotten several responses in the last few hours; choosing might be hard. But anyone I don't get with on this one is certainly a possible for another one I'm probably going to be writing for GenCon for a group I did one for last year.
    What I meant is...doyou need us to start making your map right now? Cause I would like to know relative size/encounter number etc.

Looking for map collaborators; underground and outdoors

Sprawling = 1 level with 30 or more keyed areas or 2 levels with about 20?

Map Old school mapping...

Well, I could start right away, but like others I would need to know how many rooms and levels you would want.

So just let me know. I have plenty of free time right now. In fact depending on what you want I could be done in a couple of days. All depends on the level of detail you want, and complexity.

Here's a sample of what I can do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon_sample..jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	23648  
    Last edited by Zanazaz; 04-11-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast