Thread: iPhone map making application

Link iPhone map making application

Hello everybody,

after lurking on this forum for a while, soaking up wonderful advice and basking in the marvelous creations posted here, I'd like to communicate that I've developed a map making application for the iPhone. While not as sophisticated as Dundjinni, I nevertheless think that it is a nice and quick way to sketch up that little map you forgot for tonight game.

I know this might seem a kind of shameless plug, but I'm posting this here mainly because I've started working on a more serious map making application for the iPad and I'm looking for suggestions on which features you would like in such an application.

More information, including a gallery of maps, can be found here: http://www.macisw.com/macimapmaker/, while the app can be found on the AppStore here: http://itunes.com/app/macimapmaker/

Cheers
    Massimiliano

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

Interesting. Still I miss the feature listing, to make a purchase. How many objects, how many textures, what kind of textures and more screens. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilwan View Post
    Interesting. Still I miss the feature listing, to make a purchase. How many objects, how many textures, what kind of textures and more screens. Good luck with it.
    Inside the application there is a smallish library of background textures (78 in 9 categories) and objects (133 in 11 categories). Additional categories can be created and any jpeg/png image can be downloaded from the internet and added to the library.

I will place more screenshots later today, including a full list of all the images and textures included.

Cheers
    Massimiliano

P.S.
    There is a screencast video on YouTube that shows how the application works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKpgf-Ob0g
    Last edited by mbussi; 04-10-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

Great - looking forward to that. The ability to add to the objects to your library is very nice.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

This could be great if you're on the fly and you suddenly get a cool idea for a map, that you want to make a quick "work print" of, for latter use. Or if you're somewhere, gaming, and need a super-quick dungeon map. Or if you're just bored while riding the train/bus.
    Any of the above, really, provided you have that darn iPhone thingy!

All the provided objects are now visible in the screenshots section. Background textures will follow.

Looks pretty cool. Not sure I'd ever want to make maps on my iPod Touch because the screen's so small but I bet you get a few takers for this. You looking at iPad? I don't have one yet but I've got strong urges in that direction...
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    You looking at iPad? I don't have one yet but I've got strong urges in that direction...
    Yes, I am. Actually, I have two apps for the iPad in the pipeline: one is a full featured map making application, the other is a Fantasy Grounds-like virtual tabletop program.

The iPad is simply screaming for such an application IMHO.

By the way, version 1.01 is live on the AppStore: a couple of minor fixes and a confirmation dialog before deleting objects has been added.