Thread: New mapper here

Default New mapper here

Hi there! I'm Amerigo Vespucci, and I'm a member of Alternatehistory.com. Like the name says, it's talk about how history might have turned out differently than it did. More often than not, maps are extremely helpful in detailing an alternate world, and I'm always eager to learn new techniques and approaches to creating maps.

If you're looking at this post, I'd really appreciate any tips on tutorials about how to add detail to existing maps; I've got quite a range of blank maps, but am always interested in creating Atlas-like effects in addition to alternate borders and things along those lines. I've got Adobe CS2 and a few years of experience working with it, but while I know the basics, I'd like to learn more. Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to contributing!
    Last edited by Amerigo Vespucci; 04-11-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Wow, we have a 556 year old Renaissance explorer on board. What version of photoshop did they use back in 1502?... just kidding, welcome to the guild! ; )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild. A lot of the atlas-style map tutorials here start from scratch and use random processes to create the underlying land masses...but I think some of their techniques can be adapted to an existing design. Here are a couple of good ones:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...gional-RPG-Map
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...as-style-in-PS
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...t-in-photoshop

Much to browse on in the tutorials section. Most have at least one, if not more, techniques in them that can be useful in any number of situations...so they're really all worth trying if you have the time.
    M

Thanks, mearrin. I think it'll take a bit of experimentation to see which techniques work best for an existing map, but we'll see how it goes!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Amerigo Vespucci View Post
    Hi there! I'm Amerigo Vespucci, and I'm a member of Alternatehistory.com. Like the name says, it's talk about how history might have turned out differently than it did. More often than not, maps are extremely helpful in detailing an alternate world, and I'm always eager to learn new techniques and approaches to creating maps.

If you're looking at this post, I'd really appreciate any tips on tutorials about how to add detail to existing maps; I've got quite a range of blank maps, but am always interested in creating Atlas-like effects in addition to alternate borders and things along those lines. I've got Adobe CS2 and a few years of experience working with it, but while I know the basics, I'd like to learn more. Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to contributing!
    Hey Amerigo! It's Vowels!
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.