Thread: Hi everyone

Post Hi everyone

As I said hi everybody,

Just arrived at this forum while surfing for ideas how to build city maps and decided to stay after checking how much information was available.

Unfortunately, my skills with graphic programs are kind of limited, other than draw maps with SimCity and similar games I can do a little bit of GIMP and I have an awesome -1000 level in PS

M.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad to have ya here anyway.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

We've got a lot of frequent city mappers on here. I've done one and am working on another. Gandwarf (right?) a master of City Designer (a plug-in for Campaign Cartographer)...and that might be an option for you if you're not quite ready for Photoshop/GIMP yet.

Take a look at my current city's WIP thread here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...723#post107723
    It started as shapes in Illustrator (you could do something similar in Inkscape, which is free) which were easy to draw and position. Then I brought them into Photoshop and used textures and filters with a little bit of hand masking and layer blending to create the buildings. I think this is a pretty powerful process for creating a city quickly. Though this particular map has been in the works for four-ish months that is mainly because of lack of time to work on it. Once I had the shapes drawn it was quick and easy to get the basic buildings pulled together in PS.

Much easier than my first ambitious city map, which was hand drawn, scanned, and then painted in PS. Hundreds of hours in this one:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...r-by-mearrin69

So. Anyway. Don't let Photoshop scare you off. Let's see what you can do. Start with a town, though. Really. Start with a town.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    So. Anyway. Don't let Photoshop scare you off. Let's see what you can do. Start with a town, though. Really. Start with a town.
    M
    You are not helping with that I want my mommy!

M.