Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arinor

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wip Arinor

While I sort out various problems with the other maps I'm working on, I thought I'd start something new. This will be another antique style map, cause I just really dig that style.

I did part of the border first; it will eventually have all kinds of intricate corner designs etc on it. For some reason putting the border in first is helping me frame (pun intended) the layout of the whole thing a bit better.

I'm going to try out one of Raskat's methods for mountain-building and see how it looks; that's the next step. Here's a first pass, with coastlines and oceans done:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArinorA1..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	845.7 KB 
ID:	23667  

I like it! Looks kind of mosaic-y.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Thanks, Captain Vowel.

Here's a very small update, with some preliminary mountain work done. I used Raskat's brush method, but with more traditional shapes. I'm kinda digging the way it looks...

Name:	ArinorA2..jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	883.1 KB 
ID:	23689  

You're doing a good job. I like the shape of the world .

Anyway, I think you should change sometimes the brush length. This way you will obtain mountains of different heights. Otherwise they will look all the same. Maybe something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yep, that's what I have in mind; this is just preliminary stuff just to get the locations in. I'm definitely going to go back and add more detail.

Scrapped the Arinor map; didn't like the shape of the landmass. Rather than start a new thread though, I'll start the new map here.

This is a remake of an older map (which can be found here: http://chanimur.deviantart.com/art/Soulless-96267129). The story dictated a change in some of the landscape, so it was time for a remake...

Here's the first bit done; all the mountains are individually drawn, and they're not done yet; I'm going to go back and add more detail to each of them. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment.

Name:	WC1a..jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	23836  

Wow, I really like the shape of this continent, especially the way you have it framed. Those mountains are looken pretty sweet as well. Great job on this one Diamond!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree, this shape is very nice. It reminds me a bit of an upside down Africa or South America which means it looks rather natural to the human eye.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks guys! More to come tonight or tomorrow.

A small update; nothing major. I decided against adding a whole lot more detail to the mountains - I'm going to add a grungy overlay to the map, and I think that will give enough visual tweaks where any more detail on the mountains would be counterproductive.

I added the rivers in, and a (I think) cool-looking compass, as well as some ocean rings done by using a stroke only and lowering the opacity by different amounts on each ring, rather than a fill then stroke. It softened them up quite a bit and looks better and less hard-edged.

Now I'm debating on how I want the forests and plains (of which there are a lot - the whole central portion of the map is one huge steppe) to look. They'll be icons, and I've got the ones I want to use for the forests pretty well nailed down, but I'm at a loss as to how to show grassland without peppering that whole huge area with too many symbols. Any suggestions?

Name:	WC2..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	23925  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast