Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of Caeruin

Truly love that 4th map. That's a fantastic series of progressions - congratulations! Welcome to the guild.
    Thanks. I found this site some time ago for me, primarily as a source of inspiration. Now I wanted to give something back to you.

Excellent maps, as most people, I especially like the fourth one, though I don't really understand why there's diagonally crossing meridians. Is that to enhance the feeling that all corners of the map are meeting?
    Although I have tried to acquire some knowledge about the production of ancient maps (including the importance of meridians), at least it has a purely decorative purpose. I've seen these intertwined 'meridians' allready in several historic maps (for no apparent reason other than the optic) and I have thought that they would make in my map quite well.

Anyway, here I have a few more maps. The first one was inspired by Schley's wonderful map of Eberron, especially in terms of colors. The second one is a worldmap in a black-and-white-style I liked to try out. Last but not least, two small insights into a much larger map where I am actually working on.

Quabbe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caeruin-5..jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	23703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caeruin-6..jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	23704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caeruin-8..jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	23706  

I'm stunned. You are no amateur . This is pro work and I'm jealous of your skills!!! Good job man .

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, thx for sharing
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow and Wow again! Love your work.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Member

Awesome. What a progression!

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    Although I have tried to acquire some knowledge about the production of ancient maps (including the importance of meridians), at least it has a purely decorative purpose. I've seen these intertwined 'meridians' allready in several historic maps (for no apparent reason other than the optic) and I have thought that they would make in my map quite well.
    They are navigational aids, like a compass rose:

"the straight lines criss-crossing many portolan charts represent the thirty-two directions (or headings) of the mariner's compass from a given point. This is similar to the compass rose displayed on later maps and charts. Naming or demonstrating all thirty-two points is called boxing the compass."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portolan_chart

Absolutely stunning Quabbe, you have demonstrated masterful skill in a variety of styles. Thanks for sharing, and have some rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

very good indeed.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raskat View Post
    I'm stunned. You are no amateur . This is pro work and I'm jealous of your skills!!! Good job man .
    Yeah, ditto! My God, those are all simply beautiful. I hope we see many, many, many more maps from you!

I have to agree with the points already made. Those are some seriously gorgeous maps! Thank you for "giving back" as you put it and welcome to the guild.

Now you are inspiring others. I think we are overwhelmed just a tad and we thank you for it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast