Thread: First Submission of my Own Work.

Wip First Submission of my Own Work.

This is the first map i'm sharing with the board. (and also the first worth sharing).

Any criticism or feedback is welcome.

I stress over correct placement of mountains and rivers, and try to explain major geographic features. So anyone with knowledge on the subject that has any tips, please share.

I'm pretty happy with where i am heading stylistically, but i obviously have a lot more i can improve on.
    I've ditched the canvass overlay that used to dirty up my maps which i am happy about.

Anyway, any feedback at all is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WIPMAPresize..jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	23714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WIPMAPstudyresiz&.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	23715  

Very nice. I like the style. It looks like it was created via an old style Calligraphy pen or brush. I especially like the 2nd one with all your notes as it provides great insight into what you are going for.

Not sure I like the look of the trees when they overlay other stuff. It might just be the way the River layer drives through them. Maybe if the trees just overlaid whatever is beneath them it would look a little cleaner. The rivers would then just peak through wherever there wasn't a tree covering them. And that one tree down near the bottom center that overlaps the Ocean - I would be tempted to loose that one altogether.

Thanks for sharing this I look forward to seeing more as you continue to develop.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member

Hay.

Nice map, realy like the look on your cost lines.

As for mountians and rivers. Mountians usealy form where to continential plates meets, this is also where volcanos is most common.
    Another way for mountians to raise is when magma presses up on a plate sending gargantum stones and pices of the plate upworts to the serfes.

a 3rd and last way (that i know of) is where magma breaks trough and slowly starts forming a mountian of its own.

Rivers have many rules. most of them explained here by Redrobes http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

Below is a quick show of how continential plates makes mountians.

And Welcomme...

-ZB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stRuleToMTH.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	23734  
    I love to do things in another way than everyone else... I hate to fail... Bad coctail.

Ok, I'm just twisted enough that this excellent graphic of how Mountains form got me laughing.

For some reason before I even expanded it, the thought of stop-motion farts shot into my head...from there on you can imagine how the whole thing just devolved in my mind. LOL! I'm sorry if this is too off color for anyone, please feel free to delete my post as I will not be offended. If you just read it again with this thought in mind however, it's hard not to chuckle.

PS. No disrespect intended here toward anyone.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

thanks guys. i think i'll have to make a new tree brush that isn't transparent in the middle. After you pointed it out i had a look, and yeah. it is a bit annoying having a piece of beach in a tree haha.
    and also, the mountains do indeed look somewhat like a rear. excellent spotting a lolling good sir.

EDIT: think i might blur the rivers by a couple of pixels to get rid of the harshness when it's scaled.