Thread: An incredible resource of old maps

Link An incredible resource of old maps

While surfing about I discovered a website that sells original antique maps: http://www.raremaps.com/index.html Since the actual maps are actually what are for sale, they post some pretty high-res images of them for interested parties that are free for the "save picture as"!

Some of you may even find an antique map or three to decorate your home (I own a couple myself).
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Nice find. Would be awesome to see some fantasy gaming maps designed in the styles that some of those maps where done in..

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

$24,500! :O
    Sure, I'm a cartography fan, but 24,5K for what is basically a really old map/art bastard hybrid!? Me thinks its worth that much probably because it's old...

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    $24,500! :O
    Sure, I'm a cartography fan, but 24,5K for what is basically a really old map/art bastard hybrid!? Me thinks its worth that much probably because it's old...
    You sometimes see old maps on Antiques Roadshow but they are never valued that high. I wonder how many people buy a $20k+ off the internet?

Great resource and inspiration though.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I am not sure if this book has been posted yet as a resource but it has many of the old maps found on that site...

Mapping the World by Michael Swift

I have it and look through it all the time... it is also quite large and I use it as a drawing "lap" table.

-RPGMM
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.