Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More distinct icons, please...

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Rather than just changing the colour of the Icon, why not add something like a gold star in the upper left for
    Or a prominent gleam, with rays that extend beyond and thus alter the silouette, something like this hasty example:
    Name:  thread.png
Views: 109
Size:  5.3 KB

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Or a prominent gleam, with rays that extend beyond and thus alter the silouette, something like this hasty example:
    Name:  thread.png
Views: 109
Size:  5.3 KB
    I would go with making the orb even smaller, and extend the rays more. The point of an icon is that you should be able to understand it without thinking.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep the gleam works much better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whoa I did not think I'd spark two pages of replies

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    We just set them up with the new forum and had run them past a colour-blind evaluator.

I can see the last two are close on the monitor I currently have. On a different monitor they were significantly different. Which are problematic?

-Rob A>
    Cool, at least you thought of it - thank you; I do really appreciate it.

To me both types are problematic. Sounds dumb, I am sure. I am not "really" colorblind, that is, I don't just see shades of gray or something, I don't know the technical terms. It's basically that some colors blend into each other and I just can't tell the difference well. When the icons are right next to each other, it's not so bad. When I only see one kind, I could not for the life me reliably say "this is a topic with new posts".

I think for me the solution would be to make the "new posts" icon brighter. Maybe go for a reflective glass look.. I don't know.

Looks good, just need to add the gleam to the new icon when it's a thread you have replied to. You know, the one with the little yellow feather.

Then I guess you need to update the legend at the bottom of the page to indicate new posts using the new gleam icon.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12