Thread: Generic Village #2

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Default Generic Village #2

Started messing around with another little village. Used an Inner Glow for the water with a stroke for the edge. Learning something new with every attempt.
    Still can't figure out how to move the buildings once I brush them in, gonna keep working on it. I also downloaded RobA's brush that dropped random buildings along a road. But I can't find it on my PC. Gonna have to dig through the forum post again and find that thread.
    Figured someone can always use a small village map for there game. They seem to add some realistic feel to your game during those brief traveling pit stops between bigger and better places.
    Hope you enjoy, if not at the very least you get a good laugh at some not so skilled map making. lol
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic Village 2&.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	578.5 KB 
ID:	23788  
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is pretty cool and much easier to see than the last one. I only know of one way to rotate a building and it's just what I figured out on my own so I will try to explain it. I'm pretty sure you are using Gimp, if not forget anything I say...you may want to do that anyway

Here goes:

1.) Draw your building on a separate 'Transparent' layer. (You could use the same layer you are painting on but it's a pain to select just your building after it's down and not suck up parts of the landscape with it.)
    2.) Now select that building using any of the selection tools, just use the square for simplicity sake.
    3.) Copy what you have selected <Ctrl-C>. Click the eyeball icon to the left of the layer once copied or it just looks sloppy on the next step.
    4.) Switch layers to the one you are painting.
    5.) Paste <Ctrl-V> (this will drop your building down and you can move it to roughly where you want it although it is not rotated yet)
    6.) Click 'Tools/Transform Tools/Rotate' or just use the icon on the left in your toolbox called 'Rotate Tool'.
    7.) Rotate till you hurl - then 'Anchor' it down. You can rotate by grabbing the edges and dragging as well as slide the image for better placement by grabbing the circle in the middle of it.

I hope this helps and I hope some expert comes along and tells me I'm insane and there is a much quicker better way to do this

By the way, it's not usually absolutely perfect and you may need to do a little blending to get the lines just right.

UPDATE: I was in the shower and I realized there is a way to save some steps. Here is a way that might save you a little work.

1.) Draw your building on a separate 'Transparent' layer. (You could use the same layer you are painting on but it's a pain to select just your building after it's down and not suck up parts of the landscape with it.)
    2.) Now select that building using any of the selection tools, just use the square for simplicity sake.
    3.) Click 'Tools/Transform Tools/Rotate' or just use the icon on the left in your toolbox called 'Rotate Tool' then click back on the area you have selected.
    4.) Rotate till you hurl - You can rotate by grabbing the edges and dragging as well as slide the image for better placement by grabbing the circle in the middle of it.
    5). 'Anchor' the rotated image down (click the anchor icon on the right under layers)
    6). Merge the layer down by right clicking on the layer you are working on and selecting 'Merge down'.

This is much easier than the cut/paste method although it might still be useful in certain situations.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-14-2010 at 02:59 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Alrighty, I'll give that a try in the morning when I start Generic Village #3. Makes more since the way you explained it this time, more details. If it works, next time your in Las Vegas, I'll buy you a drink or three. If it doesn't work, watch out AZ is really close. I might have to load up my land Assault Fortress and pay you a visit. Fear the charging elephants!!!!

Thanks

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

A R Frost, you might want to try to find forest/housing textures with the same perspective. Your houses are from straight above, but your trees are not. That can put a bit of confuzzlement in peoples heads

Meridius, Thanks for that bit of info. Didn't think about that. Will work on correcting that issue with my next attempt.

Jaxilon, Guess you have been saved from the wrath of the Land Assault Fortress's. I can move my buildings now...WOOT!!! lol

By the way, I forgot to mention the most important thing: Great work! Small villages are underappreciated anyway. Keep going!

Whew! I been stressed out all day about that
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt