Thread: Ukraine's winner to 'Ukraine's got talent'.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ukraine's winner to 'Ukraine's got talent'.

An artist uses a sand table to chart the life of a Ukrainian woman who lived through the war. It moved me to tears (as it did most of the audience). This really is a must see. And to think that the best that Britain can produce is a dance group.

Link here

Blurb below:

This video shows the winner of "Ukraine's Got Talent", Kseniya Simonova, 24, drawing a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World War II. Her talent, which admittedly is a strange one, is mesmeric to watch.

The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the audience to tears and she won the top prize of about $130,000.00

She begins by creating a scene showing a couple sitting holding hands on a bench under a starry sky, but then warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated.

It is replaced by a woman's face crying, but then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again. Once again war returns and Miss Simonova throws the sand into chaos from which a young woman's face appears.

She quickly becomes an old widow, her face wrinkled and sad, before the image turns into a monument to an Unknown Soldier.

This outdoor scene becomes framed by a window as if the viewer is looking out on the monument from within a house.

In the final scene, a mother and child appear inside and a man standing outside, with his hands pressed against the glass, saying goodbye.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine , resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.

Kseniya Simonova says:
    "I find it difficult enough to create art using paper and pencils or paintbrushes, but using sand and fingers is beyond me. The art, especially when the war is used as the subject matter, even brings some audience members to tears. And there's surely no bigger compliment."

Wow..mesmerizing.

That is an awesome display of artistic beauty about something absolutely horrible.

I am glad you shared this so I may pass it on to others.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I could watch those sand painters all day long and adding the Apocalyptica music helps too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Amazing!!!! First time I have every seen artwork like that. Think I just became a fan.....
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I saw this a while back and was pretty amazed. I was also slightly depressed by it because of the fact that I don't believe you would never see a performance like that win over here in the UK.

very cool, I'd never seen anything like that before either. And I was expecting Sarah Boyle to be doing the painting not a young very attractive girl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I saw this a while back and was pretty amazed. I was also slightly depressed by it because of the fact that I don't believe you would never see a performance like that win over here in the UK.
    QFT

The way she uses both hands and carves out shapes with such precision so quickly is quite staggering.

That was amazing to watch and quite moving. Thanks for sharing that.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Utterly amazing...and she's a babe too
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.