Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CC3 Dimension Question

  1. #1
    PEB
      PEB is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4

    Question CC3 Dimension Question

    I'm very new at all of this and I'm having trouble getting started with CC3. What I want to do is overlay a base map with a with a hex grid of 23 rows and 33 columns and a grid spacing of 60. I've figured out how to apply the grid but I'm having trouble figuring out how to determine the dimensions of the base map correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    PEB
      PEB is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4

    Default

    If nothing else, trial and error works.

  3. #3
    Publisher Gamerprinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, IL, USA
    Posts
    3,837

    Post a little help...

    PEB, I'm no expert with CC3, however, I am assuming you are using the New Page Wizard in order to place your Hex Grid, well the second window of the New Page Wizard, right before you get to set your grid is where you determine your base map dimension.

    If you left it in its default setting, your map is 800 x 1000 or 8" x 10".

    Note CC3 is a vector application so you are able to rescale easily enough - though I don't know how to do this myself.

    What I'd do, since you're a newbie, is go back to the New Page Wizard and at the dimensions menu, set the dimensions what you want - ie for a 24 x 36 map, you must set to 3600 wide x 2400 tall.

    Does this help?
    Gamer Printshop - We print RPG Maps for Game Masters!
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com

    Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG) Google+ community

  4. #4
    PEB
      PEB is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4

    Post Thanks!

    Yes, that did help. It's not an exact match but it is a good starting point and needs minimal refinement. Thanks.

  5. #5
      Tekrat04 is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by PEB View Post
    I'm very new at all of this and I'm having trouble getting started with CC3. What I want to do is overlay a base map with a with a hex grid of 23 rows and 33 columns and a grid spacing of 60. I've figured out how to apply the grid but I'm having trouble figuring out how to determine the dimensions of the base map correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The numbers you are looking for are 1732 by 1380 if your hexs are on the horizontal and 1980 by 1212.4 if your hexs are on the vertical.
    Last edited by Tekrat04; 01-01-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    "The map is not the territory. The man is not the file."
    -Kevin Usher

  6. #6
      Tekrat04 is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If you left it in its default setting, your map is 800 x 1000 or 8" x 10".

    Note CC3 is a vector application so you are able to rescale easily enough - though I don't know how to do this myself.

    What I'd do, since you're a newbie, is go back to the New Page Wizard and at the dimensions menu, set the dimensions what you want - ie for a 24 x 36 map, you must set to 3600 wide x 2400 tall.
    Gamerprinter, the advice you are giving is incorrect.

    CC2/CC3 is more than a vector draw program, it's a CAD progarm. This means that you define the units you want to draw the objets in. It maybe in inches, feet, centimeters or meters. You then draw the objects in your drawing to the size that they really are. If you want a 10' x 15' room, you draw a 10' x 15' room.

    The default size of 800 x 1000 does not equal 8" x 10". It's 800 x 1000 units.

    When you print the drawing to fit within an 8" x 10" print area, in the print dialog you set the scale to 1 paper unit equal 100 drawing units. It's just as easy to have that same 800 x 1000 units drawing fit within a 24" by 36" print area by setting the scale to 1:34. If your drawing unit are feet and you want to print at 1" equal 5', set the scale to 1:60.

    Many people that go from other drawing programs, be it vector or rastor, have troubble with this.
    "The map is not the territory. The man is not the file."
    -Kevin Usher

  7. #7
      RPMiller is offline
    Community Leader RPMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Watching you from in here
    Posts
    3,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekrat04 View Post
    Many people that go from other drawing programs, be it vector or rastor, have troubble with this.
    Beat me to it! Thanks for correcting that Tekrat. Repped.

    Yea, a lot of people have difficulties with how CAD programs work in general, and I always find that somewhat surprising as there is no need to do all the scaling and whatnot that drawing programs require you to do to get to exact output sizes. Of course, that is likely because I started with CAD and then went to the drawing programs and interestingly encountered similar issues, but in reverse. I had the hardest time getting the ppi scaling straight in my brain.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

    Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.


    Find me on Google+

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •