I have some remarks on your maps.
- First, we can see aliasing in the top-middle left of the map. It is not very important, but If you are perfectionist, it can be a point to improve. ;-)
- Second, your town. The town is built on the beach close to a river. Darn, if one day there is a storm, all the town may be destroyed (flood and tidal wave). In my opinion, some houses are too close from the river (explanation below).
- Last, there is something strange with your river. Usually, the river is confined in a channel, unfortunately it is not present in your map. Ok I cannot explain very well, but is it possible to surround your river with some yellow texture representing your channel?
@Morshawn - Thanks for your comments.
- I see the 'aliasing' you're referring to, that shouldn't be a big deal to fix, I had noticed it earlier and forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out again.
- Only part of the town/city is even finished there is much more to add. The part by the coast is only the docks, warehouses, etc. Which you are correct, would be subject to destruction from bad storms, etc. I really have only barely begun to add the houses and other structures.
- The river does have a 'channel' I beleive it just "washed out" when I was playing around with the terrain effects.
OK, here's the latest update...
1) Removed the "vegetable patches" - it was experimental anyway :)
2) Revamped a lot of the terrain - though its difficult to tell
3) Finally happy with the frost/ice/snow effect
4) Added a good chunk of the houses, etc. in the central portion of the city
- This may still need some tweaking
- The 'dirty gold' building is a temple to the Goddess of Trade/Merchants/etc.
5) Added a small triangular nobles keep
6) More roads, etc.
7) Added "dirt" among the houses etc.
8) Added a central market area
As always any C&C is welcomed.
That market area is lookin pretty cool except for that green sherbet colored tent being repeated 4 times...might wanna throw on some darker shades for the various ones but I'm sure you already plan on that. Otherwise, keep on truckin.
Lots of great improvements! I love how the vegetation stops short of the "freeze zone". You have definitely thought through a lot of the small details. Well done!
The building arrangements/spacing bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it is the uniformity or grid like pattern not sure.
I definitely think you need to get some farm land in there though. Probably set to the East assuming an westerly wind so that the smell of the animals and other farm smells are blown away from the city proper. That population will definitely need some food to sustain itself.
I think you have dialed in all the previous comments and this is just about done. Excellent job!
@Ascension - Yeah I see what you mean about the sherbert color. I'll definitely fix that.
@RPMiller - I was quite happy with how my last changes to the 'frost zone' came out. I see what your saying about the grid-like pattern/uniformity. I think some of that comes from so few streets. If I add more 'city blocks' like that (and in the future), I'll break them up some more. Agree with you on the farms too. I'll get them in there eventually.
actually 7 times (if your reffering to the one i think you are), 5 times in the... market? and 2 times on the outskirts
Originally Posted by Ascension
OK, here's a relatively minor update to this beastie...
1) Got rid of the 'sherbert colored' market stalls.
2) Added farm fields on the eastern side of the city - I'm not quite sure about these yet, I've used the texture before but for some reason it doesn't seem 'quite right'.
3) Expanded "inner-city" - I like this part better than the last chunk that I did. It seem more realistic... probably due to the increased number of roads, and smaller gaps between the buildings. I may redo the other portion if I get motivated.
That's about it...
Anyone have a good texture/pattern for a graveyard? Or even a process they use to create something close. I think this city needs one on the western side somewhere.
Nothing really seems too off to me so good job. As far as using patterns, I do 3 things to eliminate the repetitions: 1) change the opacity or blending mode, 2) erase some bits, and 3) clouds or color overlays. This last bit might be useful here to break up some of that yellow, but that's just me, I still like what ya goin on here. Keep on keepin on.
Is there a reason no one builds on the western side of the big road on the west side of the city? It seems a little odd to me to have such tightly-packed blocks on one side of the road and zero buildings on the other, unless there's some kind of taboo or a royal edict declaring everything to the west of that boundary to be the King's lands.