City of Kastraal
This is my first city map-making project. I am currently in the middle of the creation and I'm in need of some inspiration!
I used a few tutorials to create it, as I have absolutely no past history with arts, especially map making. I wanted to post it here as there's a LOT to do and I feel there's already a LOT that should be improved with the map, and I am eager to have a few comments, as only my wife has seen it until now.
I tried hard to create trees. I wish to know how you guys feel about them so far. I used a tutorial but I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about the way I create the trees around the city...
Here are the things I want to implement:
- A cemetery («Cimetière des anciens» on the map, in french)
- A lone manor onto a small hill («Communauté de l'Erthiault» on the map, in french)
- Gate entrances (one in the west, and one in the south east)
- A merchant port with a few ships («Vieux Port de Kastraäl» on the map, in french)
- farmer fields (outside the gates)
Anyways. I am open to constructive criticism, and to any and all comments there is!
In the meantime, I will be working on the map and update the posts here with new versions of it.
Edit: Oh!! And I forgot to tell what I used to create the map.
- Software used : Photoshop CS6
- I used this tutorial for the trees
- I used Theses brushes for some buildings
Last edited by Philtros; 08-17-2014 at 06:37 PM.
I think your map is very good for a first attempt and I encourage you to continue it. Just a suggestion, but think a legend would be very helpful. I am nouveau myself and will start by checking out the tutorial. Once I get the hang of things, I'll try to remember to come back to your thread and offer any help I can.
Hey! Thanks guys!
@Vellum, I'll be sure to check it out soon!
Here is an update on the map!! :
As you can see, I decided to cut off some land, as I felt I needed more sea water. I might be thinking about making a small island to the east, with a bridge connecting it to the city (perhaps putting the «Orc Ghetto» there? Similar to the slave prison in Dragon Age 2?) I added a lot more trees, two entrances and some towers. I tried to create a training complex for the anti-mages guards («Gardes d'Horus»). I might move the «Communauté de l'Erthiault» OUTSIDE the city (thinking about making a big hill, a manor on top of it, and lots of trees all around it, with a metalic gate surrounding the perimeter). I need to start making plow lands too. I really don't know where to start for that though. I'll have to check some tutorials for that!
@ditberlin: Perhaps you're right, I should think about making a legend instead.
Last edited by Philtros; 08-31-2014 at 12:37 AM.
These are what I'm thinking about doing soon:
- that little «prisoners island» in the east, connected to the main city with a long bridge.
- those plow lands (this will come much later, still moving stuff around!)
- create a «Legend» instead of names all around the place. I'm thinking of a scroll-like legend, as I have seen in some maps. Many scroll brushes are free to use (with credits) on Deviant art, might look into it...
- that cemetery, anyone have a good example of how it should look from a satellite view?
- A port. Thinking of creating a port similar to Magnimar's in Pathfinder...
- A public place (you know... like somewhere to hang people. Public execution. Public annoucement. Fun government stuff right?)
- A castle (with a «rich people» place!)
What do you guys think so far? Any comments for a beginner like myself? Suggestions?