Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 292
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

  1. #261
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Today was pretty productive. The city is about 80% finished I think. Larger version attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More cities (City Designer 3)-tweeberg5.jpg  
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  2. #262
      Mixpengo is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16

    Post

    You are too good, my friend, your cities are wonderful.

    What size are you using for the map in City Designer 3? You know, at the beginning when you create a new map, the software is asking you the width / height in feet or meters.

  3. #263
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    I mostly use the standard size, which is 1000x800 I think.
    This map I started larger, at 2000x2000, but it wasn't needed. I cut away a lot of empty space.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  4. #264
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Well, here we go. The city is finished. I might redo the labeling in the future, but this is it for now. This was a pretty stressful map to finish and I had to push myself in the end. I think it turned out quite all right. I tried out some new things in the map, like an arena and cemetery.

    Glad to have this one out of my system

    City description
    Tweeberg (translated literally: Twomountain) is the gate to Sirilion, the largest city in my world. Most parts of Tweeberg are favorably located on cliffs, while the middle lies in a valley, forming the best access to Sirilion and other cities to the south. Tweeberg has always been very important for the safety of Sirilion and it is heavily fortified with multiple walls, keeps and a castle. Walls head out of the city to the east and west, to block the enemy's passage to the south. The area directly to the north of the city is a desolate no man's land. The rulers didn't want any farmland or buildings there, as they could aid in a potential siege.

    All the goods flowing into or from the south pass through Tweeberg and the city has a lot of warehouses and inns. It also has a lot of workshops, as the cliffs and mountains yield plenty of ore. The main road runs through the valley, but there are also passageways leading into the cliffs and to the higher grounds. A large wall called the "Sky bridge" acts as a connection between the east and the west of the city.

    Tweeberg's fighting school produced some of the finest swordsmen in the world, but the city was mostly infamous because of it's arena. During the rule of the wizards there were bloodsports going on and a lot of poor people and slaves were killed. It was sometimes joked that the arena was there to make sure Tweeberg's population wouldn't grow larger than Sirilion's.

    The map represents the city as it was a few years ago. Large parts of the city were destroyed during a two year siege by the Alliance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More cities (City Designer 3)-tweeberg_final4.jpg  
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  5. #265
      Ascension is offline
    Community Leader Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    8,216

    Post

    Holy smokes dude...I can see how this can get tedious but it's well worth it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)


    My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

  6. #266
      Mixpengo is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16

    Post

    This turned out unbelievably beautiful. I like how you keep innovating and always adding new stuff - the mountains and the city on different levels, cemetery, mills, the sky bridge or the grand stairway. I don't know about the arena, maybe it's just me, but I guess a circular shape would have made it more convincing.

    I want to ask you a quick question about CD3. I see you used a nice technique to create your city on several levels. On my CD3, if I stack several levels created with the same tool (imagine Mountains, for example, similar to Square Dirt but colored in gray), when I apply the sheet effects, everything looks messy and grainy and effects are not correctly applied. Is this happening only to me, or the only solution is to create different tools for different levels of elevation, each with its own associated sheet?

  7. #267
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Posts
    9,464

    Default

    Gods man, are you insane!

    This is looking really nice Gandwarf... not to sure about the metallic gradient on the curl of the label 'page'. No big deal, just thought it looked out of place
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.



  8. #268
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixpengo View Post
    This turned out unbelievably beautiful. I like how you keep innovating and always adding new stuff - the mountains and the city on different levels, cemetery, mills, the sky bridge or the grand stairway. I don't know about the arena, maybe it's just me, but I guess a circular shape would have made it more convincing.
    Thanks, I like to keep trying out new stuff to keep it interesting for myself as well. I was struggling a bit with a round shape for the arena and eventually decided to make it a square. I didn't want it to look like a classic roman arena anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixpengo View Post
    I want to ask you a quick question about CD3. I see you used a nice technique to create your city on several levels. On my CD3, if I stack several levels created with the same tool (imagine Mountains, for example, similar to Square Dirt but colored in gray), when I apply the sheet effects, everything looks messy and grainy and effects are not correctly applied. Is this happening only to me, or the only solution is to create different tools for different levels of elevation, each with its own associated sheet?
    The trick is to put everything in its own sheet. The higher parts of the city have 6 sheets stacking
    With this information you should probably be able to fabricate stuff on your own. If not let me know, I can give some further pointers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    not to sure about the metallic gradient on the curl of the label 'page'. No big deal, just thought it looked out of place
    True, thanks. I will probably redo the labelling. I was a bit hurried yesterday, I just wanted to finish it
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  9. #269
      Mixpengo is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    The trick is to put everything in its own sheet. The higher parts of the city have 6 sheets stacking
    With this information you should probably be able to fabricate stuff on your own. If not let me know, I can give some further pointers.
    Yes, that is how I did it too, but I was just wondering if there is a shortcut to it. I guess there isn't

  10. #270
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixpengo View Post
    Yes, that is how I did it too, but I was just wondering if there is a shortcut to it. I guess there isn't
    Nope, no shortcuts I think.
    But as soon as you have a few tools, with the right sheets and effects, it's a matter of plopping down a few entities and they will turn into cliffs or mountains
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •