I am trying to see if I could keep some sort of progress on a map request by Imahilus for a redo on his city map. Here is the thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapmaking-requests-archive/6855-city-havenport.html. One of the challenges is that the city is built on a slope and with various other parts of the city located on little plateaus higher up. The entire city is surrounded by cliffs.
Below I have posted a quick elevation guide for the rest of the work. I placed the docks at +25 feet and the top of the slope at +200 feet. I will be posting updates as this progresses. Any and all C&C more than welcome :).
This will be done in Gimp, and maybe a little Inkscape.
City maps, I like... I will certainly be watching this one.
Interested to see this.
Here it is as it stands after some elevation work. Not sure if the slope and plateaus are evident enough yet.
Let me know.
Edit: Added the original map as there seemed to be some confusion as to what I am asking... :D Looking for comments on the slopes and plateaus in particular
Edit2: and posted a version without the original to better see the "grade". First time I saw it like this and already see some things wrong with it. :(
I think it looks pretty awesome so far. If you'll forgive a crit by a noob, the only thing I would change is to make the plateaus/cliffs not so well-delineated along their slopes. I mean the little verical lines along the cliffs; maybe fuzz that up a bit, or else add in more detail to give it a more cliff-like appearance?
Thanks Diamond. All C&C welcome. Even from "noobs", `cause even the "noobs" here have shown some awesome talent, and you never know where they are coming from.
As for the Lines, buildings and other embelishments, they all belong to the original map that I have under the slope so I know where the various parts are. Down the road I will be trying to replace those cliff lines and stuff with something more in tune with what I am attempting to do.
The main thing I am trying atm is to give the slopes and plateaus a sense of elevation and hieght.
Ok, what I like:
- The different icons you are using (the gates, bridge, salamanders, etc)
- The general layout of the city, although if I understand correctly, you can't take full credit for it of course :)
- Colors work pretty well together, although the palette is rather limited.
- The ridges, although I agree with Diamond about the suggested improvements.
Some of the stuff that needs some work I think:
- The structures look far too orderly. This might be more of a schematic map of course, but I like my city maps too look more realistic. So with houses crammed everywhere, large roads and tight alleys, market squares, docks, etc.
- I am sure there are better water textures out there. Or just give the water one bright color as a realistic texture wouldn't fit in. Not too fond of what you are using now.
- The font you used for the title looks ancient and not in a good way I think. It looks like fonts I saw in the eighties :D There are lots of great fonts out there.
You wanted feedback, so there you have it. The map is nice enough, don't be discouraged by my criticism (which might be a matter of taste as well).
Okay, to clarify, this is the beginning of a redo for Imahilus, based on a map that he already had. The original map is what I am using as a guide for placement of the various elements such as slope, plateaus, and in the future, buildings, wall and gate placement ect.
I will add the original map to my last post to clarify what is mine and what is on the original map. ;)
All things besides the elevation shadows are place holders
Here is the latest "effort" on this map,
- changed the base color
- gave the highland some texture
- stroked the plateaus
didn't touch the elevation "map" though. trying to figure how to fix it. :/