That is well groovy. Nice techniques there.
I've stumbled on a nice tutorial today. It's a quick way to imitate old book drawings. Quite useful if you want to make atmospheric player handouts.
My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.
Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
I am reposting this message after modifying how this tutorial is linked.
I sent an email to forcg administration requesting permission to put up the PDF document I created of this tutorial. To date, I have not received a reply from them.
Consequently, I have linked this tutorial directly from its source. It is now available in the Tutorials in PDF Format thread.
You can find the link on Page 1, in the PHOTOSHOP-RELATED TUTORIALS section of Post 2.
In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
© May 29, 1980
I tried it as well, seems to work best on smallish images where the smart blur/surface blur works best at blurring the boundaries between colors so that the find edges filter doesn't produce a lot of extraneous lines.
If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
-J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)
My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps
unfortunately the color burn and motion blur effect does not work anymore (which is the thing that made this look intersting). Applying color burn blending mode to the pattern overlaid layers has no effect whatsoever.
Instead you can apply what I call Ascencion's technique:
- CTRL+click the original graphic for selection
- apply filter noise /add noise... (Amount 400% monochromatic)
- apply filter blur / motion blur
proceed with the tutorial from the original source (step 9 I thinK)
hope that helps
Last edited by inservo; 11-13-2011 at 07:29 PM.
I've just tried it again (thanks for reminding me about this tutorial!) and it works great on character portraits too.