(Video) Making a dungeon with photoshop / filterforge
I was asked how to make a dungeon in the style I do with photoshop. Since I'm not very good at writing a tutorial or explaining it, I decided to make a video of me making a very basic map. But it shows the basics how I do. The video is 43 min long. I haven't cut anything out, so you might just wanna jump a little in it. Some day I might make a better video, but this will do for now.
Simple dungeon making with photoshop
The basic things I show:
- Making a grid. (time: 00.00)
- Making the outline of the dungeon (time: 01:00 - 06:10)
- Texture with filterforge (time: 06:25 - 08:00)
- Shadows on the ground (time: 08:00 - 08:31)
- Wall around the dungeon(time: 08:45 - 10:19)
- Cracks and dirt with filterforge (10.20 - 14:00)
- Stairs (time: 14:10 - 20:50)
- Spiderweb (time: 21:00 - 27:00)
- Pool (time: 27:00 - 31:00 )
- Simple door (time: 31:00 - 36:00)
- Simple chair and table (37:00 - 43:35)
You can find the .psd of the map here: tutmap.psd
Thanks for posting, I didn't get all the way through it, just the 1st part.
Here are two tips that might speed things up for you.
1. Make a selection, hold down shift and make additional selections, they can overlap (combining) then at the end fill once.
2. Turn on grids, you can set the grid to be exactly the same as your grid, then turn on show grid, and snap to grid, now you will be on grid more often.
Overall nice job, and nice of you to share your process... I want to watch again and see how you do the walls.
Thanks for the tips.
And the walls are fairly easy to do. In this video I just select the entire ground, make a new layer and go to: Edit > Stroke
And then I just texture the walls. I this video I just use basic layer styles, so nothing overly fancy.