Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Quick Tutorials

  1. #11
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    7

    Default

    thanks y'all I will do just that and will hopefully make an awesome map thanks to y'all!!

  2. #12
    Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY USA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Glad to here it. I was thinking for the next mini-tut doing a quick walk-through of how to use layer styles to create various map symbols (such as city and capital icons). Of course this will be old hat to experienced mappers but I thought it might still be useful to those new to digital cartography. Thoughts?

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Would this be applicable to GIMP? I would love to see a tutorial on those kind of map symbols!

  3. #13
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    Would this be applicable to GIMP? I would love to see a tutorial on those kind of map symbols!
    Yep. I began working on it and then got caught up with other life demands. Hope to have it done by next week. Again, this will be a "quick" tutorial, nothing too in depth or fancy. More on this soon.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  4. #14
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,268

    Default Geographic Icons - A Mini-tut for GIMP and Inkscape

    Here is the second installment in the miscellaneous tutorials series. Many of the more experienced members here will already be familiar with the techniques of this mini-tutorial, but I think it might still be useful, especially for newer members.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miscellaneous Quick Tutorials-geographic-icons-mini-tutorial.jpg  

  5. #15
      Tulgurth is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hey Arsheesh I was just wondering what version of Gimp you are using. I tried to follow the simple steps above for making the icon symbols above. However when I go into GIMP I am not seeing the menu routing you are referring to.

    Little bit of help please with some clarification on that. Would be greatly appreciated.

  6. #16
    Guild Artisan Jacktannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    851

    Default

    These are great Arsheesh.

    Tulgurth I think Arsheesh might be using the popular Layer Effects plugin, which replicates Photoshop filters, and which works on all versions of Gimp. Download it for free here Layer Effects | GIMP Plugin Registry

  7. #17
      Tulgurth is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Kewl thank you. I have been picking up the plugins as I need to, apparently this is another time when I need too. LOL

  8. #18
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulgurth View Post
    Hey Arsheesh I was just wondering what version of Gimp you are using. I tried to follow the simple steps above for making the icon symbols above. However when I go into GIMP I am not seeing the menu routing you are referring to.

    Little bit of help please with some clarification on that. Would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    These are great Arsheesh.

    Tulgurth I think Arsheesh might be using the popular Layer Effects plugin, which replicates Photoshop filters, and which works on all versions of Gimp. Download it for free here Layer Effects | GIMP Plugin Registry
    Yup, that's the one. Thanks Jack.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  9. #19
      Tulgurth is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Fortunately for me I still have questions and 2 people who can probably answer my questions for me. Thanks by the way Jack, that was a winner. But on to the next step, sorry guys I am a noob at this and working on my first digital map. Now that I have the symbols looking the way I want, how do I apply them to the map?

    Nevermind, I figured it would be to use it as a brush. So I went searching for how to make a brush in GIMP and guess, I found your post concerning not coming out in the FG color. Well I followed the instructions there and VIOLA !!!!! I now have a brush that makes the symbol I want. YEE HAW !!!!
    Last edited by Tulgurth; 10-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.

  10. #20
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulgurth View Post
    Fortunately for me I still have questions and 2 people who can probably answer my questions for me. Thanks by the way Jack, that was a winner. But on to the next step, sorry guys I am a noob at this and working on my first digital map. Now that I have the symbols looking the way I want, how do I apply them to the map?

    Nevermind, I figured it would be to use it as a brush. So I went searching for how to make a brush in GIMP and guess, I found your post concerning not coming out in the FG color. Well I followed the instructions there and VIOLA !!!!! I now have a brush that makes the symbol I want. YEE HAW !!!!
    Very cool. That's what I ended up doing as well. You could also just create a shape you want to use as an icon (as a separate document), copy it to your clipboard, and then paste it in your map document to all the locations you want the symbol to appear. From there you just follow the instructions in the mini-tut to turn the shape into a symbol.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •