To Map in VTT or not to map in VTT
A few VTTs out there have the ability to be used a mapping tool as well as a virtual game table. I'm curious about:
- Which VTT do you use?
- Does it have the ability to allow you to map in it?
- Do you use that ability?
- How quickly can you produce an encounter map with it?
- How is the quality of the map?
- How usable was the map?
- Post an example?
- How long did it take?
- Do you prefer this method versus creating the map in an external application?
- Any additional comments you would like to add?
Here are the answers from me:
- I've been able to crank one out in under 2 minutes
- Quality was decent
- The map was very useful
- Took about 5 minutes
- It depends on what I'm creating. If it is an encounter that I didn't plan on or is intended as a quick encounter than this method is the best as the players don't have to wait for the process of creating something in an external app and they get to watch it unfold on screen which keeps their attention.
- Not currently
Here's a sample exported directly from MapTool: