Thread: I don't know why I haven't tried to do this before

Post I don't know why I haven't tried to do this before

The title says it all. I've loved maps all my life and I truly have no idea why I haven't tried to draw them myself before.
    I have several maps hanging on the walls of my apartment (be it land maps or celestial ones). Every time I see a map in a new fantasy book I'm about to read, I am instantly excited. The only good grades I got in history and geography classes back in school were when I had to study and redraw maps. Any video game that has a beautiful map immediately scores points with me. Maps, maps, maps.
    So when my most recent dungeons and dragons' dungeon master said he didn't have a map for his custom world, something just clicked in my head and I said "I'll make you one!". I realised very quickly that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, that I hadn't really drawn anything in over a decade, knew close to nothing about digital painting (I usually do watercolours), and was terrified every time I opened Photoshop. I am sometimes the embodiment of the saying "biting off more than you can chew".
    After a bit (a lot) of experimentation with softwares, brushes, trying to figure out some sort of a workflow, and a lot of studying what fantasy cartographers do, I'm finally starting to like what I'm doing.
    I'm still working on this one map (it's huge, why do I do this to myself!), all at once figuring out my style, how to draw things, how to paint things (I suck at color, it's just a fact), how to fight photoshop without crying, what I like and don't like...and it's nowhere near done. My drawing style has always been a little cartoony and tiny-doodly and I think it works really well with this and I think Photoshop isn't that scary once you follow a few tutorials.

I can't wait to see what this forum has to offer, and maybe share my little bits of progress and improvements. So, onwards!

Software: Krita, PS CC 18
    Hardware: Huion NEW1060PLUS

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild. Yes - start a new WIP (work in progress) thread in whatever forum is suitable and when its all finished you can also put the final image as the first post in a new thread in the Finished maps section.

Thank you! I'll try not to feel too self conscious about my very obvious noobism and post some wips!

Welcome to the Guild, I'm glad you decided to join us! It definitely sounds like you're in a group of like-minded people with the same love for maps. I'm excited to check out some more of your work as well!

- Josh

Thank you Josh! I've used your paper texture tutorial and it was super helpful, thank you so much for all your resources.
    I posted my frist WIP here already

Don't be intimidated! You don't need to use Photoshop... you can always do watercolor maps too. Lots of people do traditional art only here. Or other programs. I don't use Photoshop. I just draw in Clip Studio Paint most of the time. Welcome.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!