Thread: The Dwendalian Empire - Critical Role

Default The Dwendalian Empire - Critical Role

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwen4m.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	8.70 MB 
ID:	104587

I really enjoy watching the Critical Role D&D show, their new campaign started a few weeks back and in one of the recent episodes the players were given a map. The map the players got is this one by Deven Rue. Lots of people do fan art for the show so I decided to have a crack at doing my own version of the map. There was a bit of guess work involved as there isn't a good quality version of the original online.

Generally I think the map turned out pretty well but would love any criticism and comments!

Blog Entries

Good atmosphere!
    I like the river on the left.

I like it! As a fan of the show, thank you
    The only thing i'd work on is the mountain-ranges. As it is, they are just a bunch of single mountains. It would look more authentic if you had placed them more closely together (forming ranges) and with some variety between the mountain-shapes.

As to the show itself: I am a bit sad that Matt is not providing his fans with his sketches for the rest of his world. You can see that the players have lots of maps that he (i guess?) made for the setting. Or maybe i'm just not good at finding them?

Anyway, cool to see your take on the Dwendalian Empire!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by qhqhTerra View Post
    Good atmosphere!
    I like the river on the left.
    Thanks, glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I like it! As a fan of the show, thank you
    The only thing i'd work on is the mountain-ranges. As it is, they are just a bunch of single mountains. It would look more authentic if you had placed them more closely together (forming ranges) and with some variety between the mountain-shapes.

As to the show itself: I am a bit sad that Matt is not providing his fans with his sketches for the rest of his world. You can see that the players have lots of maps that he (i guess?) made for the setting. Or maybe i'm just not good at finding them?

Anyway, cool to see your take on the Dwendalian Empire!
    The mountains are something I need to work on for sure, I'm still getting the hang of using mountain brushes. If I had to describe myself in one word it's "lazy" so trying to find a quick and easy way for using mountain brushes so they can be placed closer together, looking more natural is something I'm still figuring out.

There are some maps in the campaign guide they put out and it seems that Deven Rue is the official cartographer they have now so I expect some more official maps soon. I guess there must be a reason Matt is keeping the maps close to his chest. Either it's to keep some information back till he has fleshed it all out (you can't change stuff easily once it's public!) or to keep the audience/players in the dark for story telling reasons. There have been a couple of little sketches that there have been glimpses caught of on camera but in general there don't seem to be many maps out there to use as reference.

Yeah, that is what i meant. The players do have a world map and other regional maps that you can glimpse on the show. Just the rough world map, no details needed, would make me happy (i understand Matt not wanting to show too many details for story reasons). Just to know what is where etc. . Considering they are always on about how great their community and fans are, i think he could give us a peek, no?!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars