Thread: Need help with arid zones

Help Need help with arid zones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arid_zones_for_upload.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	124153
    The brown-yellow zones are semi-arid (steppes) while the red zone is supposed to be arid (desert).

I need help with the arid zones of my continent, as I want them to be as realistic as possible. The problem is I have only a rudimentary understanding of how far reaching the influence of oceans on climate are and what their impact on .I oriented myself mostly with the mountain ranges and distance to the coast. The climate can be assumed as earthlike, meaning the same rules apply. If it is relevant: The Lands north of the westernmost (left) mountains are perpetually frozen, then follow the same climate zones as on earth, the circumference of the planet is also approximately the same as earth's.

Is this set up believable/realistic?
    Should the center mass of the continent also be red?
    Howfar to the coast should the arid zones go?

Default my two pence

Really like the shape of your continents/landmasses...very authentic, for want of a better word.

I'm no expert but from your description and the map, I do think that's all very believable. I think the placement of the arid desert looks right, but I guess that depends on direction of the 'jet-stream' and prevailing winds (or equivalent on your word). Would the winds be blowing in from the right across that ocean? Would that lead to picking up a lot of moisture and dumping it on the red area, possible not. Maybe that moisture picked up would need to rise in elevation before condensing and accumulating into clouds; so that wouldn't happen until it reaches that large mountain range to the left. (I keep thinking this isn't unlike the Gobi Desert, as this seems to have a similar geological make up, particularly with the large mountain range more inland (reminiscent of the Himalayas). The other thing that might play a factor is the planets tilt and therefore the position of the 'eqautor'. Look at the Sahara as to how that is effected (although there are other factors i'm sure).

I don't know if that has helped any, or made things worse haha. All in all I do think its believable, (looks great too!) and as its essentially fictional....if you like how it looks, you can create meteorological systems that make it work!?

Hi!
    Well, it depends on how much realistic you want your world. If you have time to spare i suggest to follow this thread https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=27782
    The climate depends on many factors, as the winds strenght and direction, and costal currents..
    At what latitude is this continent? If you look at the earth you see that in some places the desert reach directly the ocean shore, and other places shows relatively small mountain ranges that bring rain even in dry areas, so it's hard to tell without more informations.
    If you want a fast way bypassing some realism look at the earth, in places similar of you thought of your continent, and copy a bit!

This is great! Thanks a lot!