Thread: City of Four Strong (Beaufort, South Carolina)

Default City of Four Strong (Beaufort, South Carolina)

Here's a hand-drawn isometric map I just completed for a first time publisher from Beaufort, South Carolina. The significance of the location is this is an alternate community of English settlers inter-married with the indigenous population, and the surrounding terrain (islands, rivers, near the sea) is accurate to the real Beaufort, South Carolina - with an alternate community at it's place called the City of Four Strong. Fort Strong acts as the local defenses, and the shipping villages of Sea Green and Driftwood. I used a 3D program to create the communities to accurately depict the perspective view. Of course I use Xara Desiger Pro x11, and hand-drawn work to create this map.

GP

city-of-four-strong-final.jpg
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Very nice drawing GP. It is nice to see hand draw map from you for a change .
    I guess you used bevel on the forest with Xara? I would rather see a subtle shade and light draw by hand. This bevel gives the forest a little strange look. Especially the upper light part. Other than that, great map.

I've always liked the idea of using 3D modeling to set up buildings, and it it looks great here! I'll second the beveling on the forest looking a little strange -- sort of plasticy. It looks like you used bevel to much less jarring effect elsewhere, so potentially the forest could be no more weird with some settings tweak. I think the white shine is what's getting me. Trees aren't usually that shiny.

Which isn't to say I don't like this overall. I especially like the line quality.

Nice map GP, I particularly like the city!

Really my large format scanner that is connected to my large format inkjet printer had a mechanical problem and I spent over $1000 getting it repaired - now I have a scanner to use, so I've finally created a hand-drawn map of this scale again. There are things I can do to lessen the shine in my beveled shapes, but the publisher loved it and asked for no changes, so this is the final version.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations