Thread: Redwall Series (Illustrative map... Commissioned)

Map Redwall Series (Illustrative map... Commissioned)

This is an illustrative map of the Redwall region, from the famous series of the sane name, that was written by Brian Jacques. It was made for a client of ours, that likes fan art and cartography based around movies and novels. It was painted by our very talented artist, Jennifer. Eventually, we will update the center map itself, by adding actual landscape features, such as the massive natural structure, Salamandastron.

Personally, I truly enjoyed this project and so did the main artist. We are both huge fans of the series and we truly hope it shows.

I hope you enjoy and all feedback is welcome, of course.

From top left, in a clockwise fashion: Mattimeo, Orlando the Axe, Slagar the Cruel and then finally, Cluny the Scourge.

JSL_Redwall_Rework_Final.jpg

Stoneflask Studio

This is wonderful! Redwall was always my favorite series growing up, so it is cool to see this illustration and map. I especially like the painting

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I like the painterly style of the outer frame. However the creatures don't really stand out well against the backdrop. In the future you might try working with different values for foreground, midground and background. Though I like the style of the background, I'm afraid that the actual map and title look a bit "simplisitc" by comparison. It's pretty evident that the scroll used for the title was drawn at a different size and then upscaled. The linework used for it is fuzzy in places and jagged in others. Likewise the linework of both it and the map would have benefited from the use of pressure sensitivity in order to vary the size, opacity and line weight. My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice work! What a talent with painting! Congratulations!