Thread: Fantasy Continent

Default Fantasy Continent

Hey everyone,

I was commissioned to make this map recently. The map itself wasn't very spectacular, but I did get a chance to try some new things. The most significant thing that I tried out was working with very thick outlines, especially around the forests and mountains. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy Map - Final Small.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	108239

So yeah, as always, let me know what you think!

Guild Novice

I really enjoy the simplicity of this map. You didn't try to label all the villages but instead, you are just showing where they are. This is a land that I would love to explore! Well done! That compass is also a treat.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I LOVE this one. Those thick outlines really make things pop without being intrusive. And your forests are just awesome.

The balance is perfect there, Daniel, everything is easily readable and understandable, partly thanks to the thick lines : a very good job, and I really love the general feeling

Excellent map, Daniel! I like a lot the parchment and yeah, the play with thick and thin lines is just clever and well done.

I just love the clean look of this piece! I really enjoy how you made the tree line in your forests distinguish your rivers, cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Diem View Post
    I really enjoy the simplicity of this map. You didn't try to label all the villages but instead, you are just showing where they are. This is a land that I would love to explore! Well done! That compass is also a treat.
    Thanks Diem!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I LOVE this one. Those thick outlines really make things pop without being intrusive. And your forests are just awesome.
    Thanks a lot Diamond! Glad you like- eerhm, I mean, LOVE it so much ;D

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    The balance is perfect there, Daniel, everything is easily readable and understandable, partly thanks to the thick lines : a very good job, and I really love the general feeling
    Thank you MistyBeee! Some areas were quite text heavy, so that was something that I struggled with a bit. Glad it turned out alright

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Excellent map, Daniel! I like a lot the parchment and yeah, the play with thick and thin lines is just clever and well done.
    Thanks Ilanthar! Good to hear it works well

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I just love the clean look of this piece! I really enjoy how you made the tree line in your forests distinguish your rivers, cool idea!
    Thank you Adfor! I've been using that technique for forests for a while. It's inspired by this map from Dain, and a great effect indeed!

Good call on those thick outlines, they really make the different elements pop out from the details !