Thread: Hello

Link Hello

Hello.

I've been looking at your maps for inspiration quite a few times, so I figured I should make a user and perhaps share something back.
    Aside from looking at well-made maps, my interest in cartography is mainly within the realms of programming. That is, every once in a while I have some great fun toying around with creating map generators.

The day was spent making this
    While I'm not completely satisfied with the colors, I like the end result enough to show you.

My goal was originally to create a terrain with mountain ranges and cliffs, something which most continuous noise based generators lack. First I thought of simulating plate tectonics, but after finding and reading laurimann's interesting thesis and playing with his demo, I felt the procedure was too time-consuming for my purposes. Trying to find a way to emulate real-life terrain with simplex noise, I eventually stumbled upon an interesting effect: piping a fractional brown motion space into itself as an added dimension! Given a 4D FBM f, compute the height like f(x,y,z,f(x,y,z,...)). In this program I "pipe" the noise once, but two or three times gives more more cliffs and more mountain ranges at a cost of computation and more swirly distortion.

Quick note about the controls:

RENDER renders with previous noise, SEED/RENDER renders with new noise
    canvas->scale is a logarithmic scaling of the size, 512->1024->2048->...
    canvas->steps_in_one size of chunks computed at once
    general->piping reduces the smudgy distortion (0 is regular simplex noise fbm)
    color->more->shadow adjust the amount of shading.

Not sure if this program is of any use to anybody, but I thought it could serve as a simple base map to be modified or maybe as inspiration.

What do you think?
    - Fvirexi.

Note: If you want to see the map on a sphere, just save it and add it as an image overlay in Google Earth

Banned User

Hello fvirexi, welcome to the Guild!

Hi fvirexi,

Welcome to the CG, the mapiest place on the internet
    I for one think your tool is really cool. I already made some maps and saved them (comes in real handy if you want to have some planetary global maps for an hopefully upcoming Sci Fi RPG!). So thanks! I really hope you'll keep this online for future uses.
    Have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Glad you like it.
    If you need increased resolution of an area without increasing the size of the map, try to modify the canvas->zoom,west,north parameters.
    I might make some changes every once in a while, so if you want to retain the exact version I have out now, feel free to download it and run it locally. It's javascript, so just open the downloaded webpage in a browser.

The next time I have a long stretch of free time available, I would love to expand the generator: calculating stable wind and ocean currents, rainfall and rivers, and finally from a few colonies spreading cities and nations, with culture vectors and relationships (using the ocean currents for transportation, of course) that may conquer and expand and... well... I might be in over my head